Solved DVD, Blue Ray or what for personal photo e video collection

Totores

Hi all, need a bit of advice.
In the past I put together all my personal photos and videos and created a DVD with navigation menus (I personally like the format), this however this is limited to 720 format.
With the advent of Blue-ray I guess this would allow for hi definition videos and photos to be created and still allow my preferred storage and presentation preference i.e. creating navigation menus and buttons.
Having said that DVD and blue-rays appear to be a dying medium and I don't actually own a blue-ray burner or player.
Should I invest in a Blue-ray burner and player and extend my storage and display preference for a few more years or is there another method that i can bore family and friends with my holidays and family snaps?
I use ProShow Producer (now dead) to create slide shows and output it as a video file.
Adobe premiere CS4 to edit the videos
The lot is then assembled with either Adobe Encore or DVD architect that I just started experimenting

Thanks
(P.S. if posted in the wrong area my apologies)

Gr3iz

Mark
Are you looking for a way to distribute these videos to friends/family? Or do you intend to bore them at your home? ;-)
I'm thinking USB flash drives. Small capacity drives are quite cheap. And, if you keep them small enough, your recipients are less likely to want to reuse them for t heir own purposes ... ;-)

Totores

I guess it's mainly for my own use and to watch at my place, it was convenient the DVD option as you could lend it out to family since most homed still have some sort of DVD. Not sure what percentage of blu-ray are out there.
Again, as stated on the original post I like the menu structure of DVD's as I usually have 6 months or a year on a disk and have a visual representation if it was a party a birthday or a football game

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your right ... DVDs are obsolete.
I think Blu-Ray is too expensive.

Most newer TVs can read USB.
as said, What about a USB Stick ... (Menu not required)

plodr

Liz
When I took vacation photos, I'd upload them to Flickr, before it got taken over. I'd send a share link to my friends and let them decide if they wanted to look at the photos.
I'd suggest bundling them up in a folder, zipping up the folder and uploading to google drive. Get a share link and send the link by email to people. They can download, unzip and look at the pictures if they want.

Totores

Just wondering, if I have my slideshows and videos on an external drive or USB is it possible to launch some sort of application that would display the content of the drive in a navigation menu a bit like a Netflix selection menu.
I know most TV media played would show this in one way or another but I'm thinking of designing something a bit fancier (sorry but it's what I do!!) something with my own backdrop and thumbs view of the content. I have been looking around for a bit with no avail but the more I think about it the more i thinks a Netflix style navigation menu could answer my question

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just wondering, if I have my slideshows and videos on an external drive or USB is it possible to launch some sort of application that would display the content of the drive in a navigation menu a bit like a Netflix selection menu.
I have a Samsung smart TV ... My TV launches something similar.
I assume different TVs and years have a different contents Explorer Display.
My slide shows are just another video ???

For giveaways/loaners ... We're using these

Occasionally, I go looking for a plastic box for USBs where I can print the contents like a DVD case.
If you find one - Let me know

Last edited:

Totores

Thanks all for your comments for now I will continue with my DVD'd and at the same time create HD 1080p files and just save them on a HD to share or play on smart TV's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online