1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dvd burner acting like a cd burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rmarty920, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rmarty920

rmarty920 Thread Starter

I bought a dvd burner a long time ago when I first built my pc. The problem is that the dvd burner won't read dvds or burn them. In fact, it only works as a normal cd-rom drive.

Here is all of my system info, any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to buy a new burner!!

Drive D:
    Description CD-ROM Drive
    Media Loaded No
    Media Type UNKNOWN
    Name HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31L SCSI CdRom Device
    Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
    Status OK
    Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
    SCSI Target ID 0
    PNP Device ID SCSI\CDROM&VEN_HL-DT-ST&PROD_DVD+-RW_GSA-H31L\4&340A8369&0&000000
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.0.6001.18000, 65.50 KB (67,072 bytes), 4/14/2008 1:11 PM)

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
    Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name ROBBIE-PC
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2411 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 0903, 1/2/2007
    SMBIOS Version 2.4

2. Flags

Flags

marty: Did it ever work for you?

3. rmarty920

rmarty920 Thread Starter

4. Flags

Flags

Marty: Click Start>My Computer>Right click on your DVD drive and choose Properties.
    Select the Recording Tab and be sure that "Enable CD recording on this drive" is checked.
    You should be able to play DVD's and Music using Windows Media Player, but I prefer using Power DVD for DVD's, and Nero for burning.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice