1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd burner disappears during use??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notdbritest, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. notdbritest

notdbritest Thread Starter

xp sp2 w/current updates; matsonic MB; celeron 950 processor; generic dvd burner; installed audio grabber last night.

My dvd burner seems to appear and disappear at will, even while in use. I had no problems with it last night, and used it and Audio Grabber to pull some music files from a music cdr and from a purchased cd. Tonight I tried to pull files off another music CDR. The first file copied fine, then I started getting errors. I went to open the burner to check the dvd for scratches, and the burner didn't open. I manually opened it, and the dvd was fine. The burner then refused to close. I checked windows explorer, and the drive wasn't shown. I powered the computer down and back up, and the drive was "not found" during start up. I restarted it, and the burner was found. Once again I was able to pull one file off the dvd, then the burner "disappeared" again.

Thinking that maybe Audio Grabber was creating problems, I uninstalled it, rebooted, and the drive was found. I tried using WMP to plat the CDR, and the burner couldn't be found. Once again it didn't show up in explorer, either.

At this point, I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? Is the burner the most likely culprit, or could something else be causing the situation?

Thanks!

2. winbob

winbob

I would suspect that you are having a POWER problem with the drive. It's either the drive itself, or the lead/connector to it.

Even if the ribbon connector is removed, the drawer should open/close as long as there is power to the unit.

3. notdbritest

notdbritest Thread Starter

power connector didn't appear to be the problem. Is it possible it's the power supply itself?

4. winbob

winbob

Anything is possible. Is the DVD the ONLY device connected on that particular power lead..remember they have multiple connectors per lead? It is less likely that the power supply is the culprit, than the drive, or leads/plugs themselves.

Try switching the 12v leads with another device. See if the problem moves.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!