1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd burner doesn't recognize blank disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by murduk0420, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. murduk0420

murduk0420 Thread Starter

I have a lite-on dvdrw shw-160p6s dual layer burner and I've been using it for a year and a half so far with out problems but last week it stopped recognizing blank dvd and cd disks. At first if I did a certain procedure it would burn but that doesn't work no more, so before I go out and buy a new burner how can I see if this is a hardware problem or a soft ware problem.:)

2. dman4862

dman4862

is it just blank dvd and cd media? does it recognize music and or data cds when you put one into the drive?

3. murduk0420

yes, it still reads all disks put into it, it probably will burn too, it just doesn't recognize blanks. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling also. even downloaded updated firmware too.

4. dman4862

dman4862

if it still reads commercial software,and music cds commericial DVD movies i would think that maybe think the batch of blank media you bought was a dud pack. Did you try to see if those discs you bought would burn on another dvd drive?

5. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

I had a similar problem with a HP DVD burner. It would never "see" a blank CD-R, then slowly started not "seeing" blank DVD-R disks, regardless of brand or burning software. I tried installing new drivers, removing the CD burner, swapping interface and power cables, and using different brands of DVD-R disks. I read that some high speed CD burners and DVD burners conflict; that's why I removed the CD burner. This went on for 18 months. Nothing worked until I installed a new $40 LG drive that BB had on clearance. The new drive does it all, even burns cheap CD-R disks and the 50 rejected DVD-R disks the other drive wouldn't touch.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Other than running a cleaner through it and re-seating cables, the drive is probably dying and the good news is they get more and more inexpensive to replace (probably the reason they don't last long anymore.)

7. murduk0420

thanks all, I figured the burner was going out so I ordered a new one for $30

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great, why not close this as solved by using thread tools up top.

9. toonbear

toonbear

murduk0420 Sounds like another case of in built obsolesence.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice