1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dvd burner drive is not being detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystic54, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

My dvd burner drive is not being detected even though on the same ide connection (ribbon cable) is a hard drive which is being detected. Is there something that I need to install or what is the deal? I thought it was supposed to be plug and play? The drive does work because the tray can come out.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is the drive detected by the BIOS? How did you jumper the drive? If the hard disk is jumpered for Cable Select, jumper the DVD for cable select as well.

3. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

First off, thanks for the reply. Second, I can't even get to the BIOS anymore. I seriously don't know what the deal was. Everything was working fine then I booted the computer down to remove the harddrive connected to the same ide cable with the dvd burner i mentioned above.

After removing the hardrive and changing nothing else, I booted the computer up to see it just stay at the Gigabyte initial screen where it goes through its memory tests/and checking for ide stuff where it would nromally boot. Instead it just hangs at that screen. I can press delete to go to the BIOS, it then says entering Setup in that corner where delete was, but it doesn't do anything after that.

Just throwing this in there, not sure if it will help or not. Before last shutting down I was going to install apps such as Daemon tools, .NET Framework 3.0, etc, and it asked me to restart. Then I removed that harddrive that was on the same ide cable as the dvd drive, but it was not holding the windows xp that I was using.

4. JohnWill

It now sounds like the hard disk is not being recognized.

At this point, I'd remove the DVD and restore the system to the original state and see if you can get it to boot again. If you still hang there, try disconnecting ALL the drives and see if you can get into the BIOS.

5. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

I disconnected the ide connections from the motherboard. I can get into the bios and when you say you want me to return it to default, the option I see is "load optimized default". Is that the correct option that you want me to do?

6. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

I just tried connecting 1 of the ide cables (1 of the harddrives, and the dvd drive) and it would get past where it normally does. It didn't boot because the windows xp on that drive is corrupt. I am going to put my main bootable harddrive on that cable instead of the harddrive that is already on there (to see if it boots). If it does, I think maybe that other ide cable just went faulty or something possibly? Once I get back home, I can do some mroe testing to help explain what I mean.

7. JohnWill

You're on the right track. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice