1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd burner firmware trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bsk8er48, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsk8er48

bsk8er48 Thread Starter

I have an io magic dvd burner whitch i flashed with the wrong firmware. It wont let me re flash with right firmware because the one i flashed with wont let. Any programs that can force a flash. Do u have any advice for what i sould do.

2. qldit

qldit

G'day bsk8er48, yes old chap, the perils of technology gone wrong, I suggest your worst fears are realised, thank your lucky stars it wasn't an explosive device otherwice you would also be history.
    A very steep learning curve I am afraid, the "one flash and you are ash" rule applies here, not much chance for resurection.
    My sympathy, cheers, qldit.

3. bsk8er48

bsk8er48 Thread Starter

well the firmware i loaded on was the right firmware for a usb version of my drive but not the ide version i got is there still any chance. like change it some how.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I doubt there's much hope. One thing you could try is to put the drive into a USB external case and see if it's recognized, but I don't think it'll happen. AFAIK, there is no difference between USB and internal physical drives, since I've put lots of CD-RW and DVD drives in external cases.

5. qldit

qldit

G'day gentlemen, yes unless you can send it back to the manufacturer and make it quite clear that it was a simple mistake due to the poor directions with their firmware updates.
    This is becoming quite an interesting area for screwups lately, especially with DVD stuff, the X speeds can commonly be altered also with some brands.
    It is apparent that one of the marketing strategies for some brands like Pioneer, is that there is a simple procedure relatively foolproof, but I haven't tried it personally.
    Other brands are more difficult to flash apparently so are more easily ruined.
    I think that would be your argument toward getting some kind of reasonable claim for a factory repair if it is possible.
    I really am prone to stuffing things up so I have not ventured into that area, I just use media that I know works, end of story.
    You are aware that the major element of the firmware is different media characteristics so that the burn laser power can be adjusted accordingly for best burning, using the ID info that is on the blank disks.
    You might be best, (If you can't get any reasonable repair action) buying an identical replacement so that you can interchange parts when one dies. These lasers have finite life expectancy and eventually just stop lasering after several of tubs of disks.
    So don't expect too much from them.
    Commiserations, Qldit.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!