1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Burner no longer works! Still reads.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Neska, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Neska

Neska Thread Starter

I couldn't find a post anywhere that was similar to my problem....

I've regularly back up some files from my computer on to DVD-Rs. I've been able to do this for a couple of months now, but a while ago my DVD burner simply just stopped working. It still reads DVDs and CDs, but burning DVDs is simply out of the question. What happened?

I use InfraRecorder mostly to burn, but when it was giving me error messages without explaining anything I switched to ImgBurn. Here's the error message it gave me:

I/O Error!

Device: [1:1:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B SB02 (E:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 53 00 00 00 00 00 25 35 30 00
    Interpretation: Reserve Track - Sectors: 2,438,448

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00

00 00
    Interpretation: Invalid Field in CDB

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. The DVD burner is TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B.

I've already tried restarting the computer, uninstalling the device then restarting, and Microsoft FixIt.

2. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

odd drives use different lasers for burning & reading, could be yours has failed. replace it, they're cheap & easy to install :D

3. Neska

Neska Thread Starter

How can I be sure that it has failed? This computer's kind of new; I don't want to replace anything in it if I don't have to.

4. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

try a different burning software i guess or try different media brand & if that fails contact whoever made your computer if it's namebrand etc. if it's less than a year old, still under warranty most likely. burnaware for free is a simple program as is cdburnerxp, also free. just fyi, a new multifunction dvd burner with lightscribe is $24.99 samsung at newegg.com. free shipping no tax. really sounds like it's faulty since it plays/reads discs but won't record, you'll just have to decide what is best for you to do. you can also download nero info tool & it will read your drive & test it's properties with a disc inserted in the drive and that may give you the info you need.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!