dvd burner won't burn!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XcheifX

I am starting to get desperate. suddenly my dvd burner stops buring dvd and cds. the burner is around a year old and is still sold at fry's electronics. it is a toshiba dvd/rw.if u guys think of something that might fix this id really like to know. help is greatly apreciated.

Good Evening XchiefX, I have a different method of trying to determine if these things have died. They can be so difficult to diagnose.
This Puppy Linux I am using is a free download and can be made into a bootable live CD. This system loads completely into ramdrive with all it's programs.
This allows the CD to be removed and the computer to be operated as if the Linux were on a hard drive and has a program for burning CD's and DVD's included.
There is a small learning curve involved but this is only a short period.
Where this becomes useful is if the burner operates in this condition it determines immediately independently if the thing is workable or not.
This program is extremely user friendly.
When the machine is switched off the original windows status remains. http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
Anyway it is a thought.
See what other suggestions appear.
Cheers, qldit.

XcheifX

qldit, i tried the puppy linux and unfortunatly my dvd burner still did not seem to work. i ended up buying an entirly new burner. thx allot for the help though i really apreciate it.

Good Day, XchiefX, In the majority of these cases where the things stop it most often is a device fail.
For information I have downloaded and been playing with the latest Puppy 1.0.7 Linux, (it has only been released in the past couple of weeks) and it appears the Burner Software has some odd problem in it.
There is an ISO burning program that functions normally though. (right next to the ordinary burning program)
It is worth noting that using that Puppy linux under the boot selection 4 is virtually "bullet-proof" for viral or malware influence. And the operation on the net is really good.
Sorry you had no success.
Cheers, qldit.

XcheifX

dear qldit, i ended up changing my ide cable then burning another disk and to my surpise it work. so it wasn't the burner but i guess something happend to the cable after adjusting it too many times. once again thx for all the help, i apreciated it.

G'day XchiefX, well done, those leads actually, usually have just small spikes going into the wires, they often have bad contact when they get much action, especially when the cable is pulled rather than the actual plug.
It was wise getting another lead.
I often smear a little vaseline on tight plug sides, some are ridiculously tight, it eases that problem occurence.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online