1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nirvana728, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nirvana728

Nirvana728 Thread Starter

I bought a LiteOn SHW-160PS6 DVD burner about 2 weeks ago. Everything was running fine in it, but now it wont read any discs. Anyone know anything about this?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What operating system? If you put, say for example a windows intall disk in the drive, then reboot, does it work there? Of course bios should be set to boot from cd first.

3. Nirvana728

I havent tried a windows disk in it yet. But im running Windows Xp Home Edition.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'd check to see if it works with the bootable XP disk ;)

If not, it's more than likely a hardware problem.

5. Nirvana728

Hmm, I cant seem to find my XP disk's, but I did fond a copy of a Bootable OS called Slax, its Linux based. Even that didnt work, the drive ran fine yesterday, and I think I did a WIndows update yesterday to, maybe I should rollback? Oh, Windows comes up with found new hardwar ever since I got the thing, but it has never been able to install it.

6. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Nirvana728, if that is a proper commercial Slax bootable CD and it is not booting, check your boot order is set with the CD before the HDD.
    Or try booting on a proper windows CD before you begin altering things.

It sounds like your CDROM may have died.

qldit.

7. Nirvana728

How would I check that? Oh, and I dont have a WIndows disc, I have a recovery disc though.

8. qldit

qldit

Any bootable CD media should prove it.
    If you have nero express and a functional burner you can download this Madboot image... http://www.tucows.com/preview/345398
    Place it on your desktop, using a new perfectly good floppy open and operate the Madboot file, this will make a bootable floppy disk, leave the floppy in and open nero express, open the make a data disk, select make bootable data disk, add all the files off the floppy to the nero window, then proceed, the boot info will be used to create a bootable CD similar to the floppy.
    This is not a difficult exercise and produces a very useful tool, Bootable CD.
    Check it on another machine if neccessary.

Check your BIOS setting is CD prior to HDD.
    Do you know how to enter BIOS to check this?
    qldit.

9. Nirvana728

No, Im not sure how to enter my bios to check.

10. qldit

qldit

Rather than proceed with an entry to BIOS at this time, what is your recovery disk, is that a CD?
    If so give it a try and see if it will boot on it.
    Just don't let the machine do anything else.

Check your manual for BIOS arrangement and how-to and access key needed.
    There are a lot of different types and it can be dicey to operate incorrectly.

qldit.

11. Nirvana728

Gah, didnt boot with it, I even did a system rollback and it still dosent work, I played Diablo 2 yesterday so It had to have been working fine then.

12. qldit

qldit

Actually there is a common circumstance where if some game CD's are attempted to be copied there is a problem created where the drive is killed.
    Did you by any chance try to copy a game?
    qldit.

13. Nirvana728

Nope, I burned a DVD to days ago but I havent burnt a game ever on this drive.

14. qldit

qldit

The manual should tell you how to check the boot priority, usually they would be set for floppy, then CDROM then the HDD.
    I have a feeling your CDROM has died, but I am usually wrong so see what you can find.
    Some people have reported problems with Windows updates.

The BIOS entry is probably hitting the delete key at the first BIOS information screen, but
    it could be F1, F2, F10 or some ridiculous key, I understand one company has even gone to F8 which is really silly.
    qldit.

15. Nirvana728

Mkay, my dad checked my BIOS and said the Drive should boot before the Hardrive. No disc at all will read, regardless if its a CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R etc. Device Manager says i has no drivers installed, and when my computer turns on it says windows has found new hardware, but it never can find driver to install.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!