1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Burners... Are they worth it now?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starwolf39, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

I can get a retail Sony DRU-500A for around $350 with shipping and everything included.

My question is, are DVD burners worth it now? This particular model can burn DVD-/+R and DVD-/+RW as well as CD-R and CD-RW. This model is also very hard to find, so I'm thinking that the price may not drop for a while if supply is still short.

What do you guys think? Is it wise to invest in a DVD burner now?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That seems a bit pricy for a DVD writer, and since I've had lousy luck with anything that says Sony on it, I sure wouldn't spend that much. FWIW, it doesn't matter how short the supply is, there are plenty of manufacturers racing to fill the vacuum, they'll only get cheaper. :)

3. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

Yeah I was skeptical myself because it's a Sony product, and I really don't like the quality Sony gives you for what you pay. What I like about this burner is that it handles virtually all types of DVD media.

Anybody know of any other DVD burners that can handle all types of DVD media besides this model?

4. vynsane

vynsane

it doesn't seem to make sense to get a dvd burner til there is a consensus on the media to use... even though this one "does it all" supposedly, if it really doesn't, you don't want to be stuck with the wrong format...

but if you got the dough, sure, why not? :D

5. n2gun

n2gun

If you really want a dvd burner, you can get a pioneer for a little over $200. Check the link below.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice