1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Burners, Write Speed and Write Time?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm trying to understand how fast a DVD burns, I mean in minutes it takes to burn data to the disk. What I want to burn to DVD is actually just data for storage, not movies.

Let's say I want to burn 4.7 Gigabytes of data to a DVD. The way I calculate it, if I burn at 2.4x, it should take about 27 minutes to do this, once the burn is started.

Is that about right?

By the way, I don't own a burner... yet.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

3. Alex Ethridge

That is an impressive 115 pages of text; however, I can't fathom how someone could compile that much information and not one word about how long it takes to write one DVD--at least there is no mention of it in the sectioin titles.

4. Alex Ethridge

5. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

[4.3.7] How long does DVD recording take?
    The time it takes to burn a DVD depends on the speed of the recorder and the amount of data. Playing time of the video may have little to do with recording time, since a half hour at high data rates can take more space than an hour at low data rates. A 2x recorder, running at 22 Mbps, can write a full 4.7G DVD in about 30 minutes. A 4x recorder can do it in about 15 minutes.

Note that the -R/RW format often writes a full lead-out to the diameter required by the DVD spec, so small amounts of data (like a very short video clip) may take the same amount of time as large amounts.

6. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the pointer; with such a long document, I missed it.

7. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

No problem ! You had me wondering too!! LOL

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/153191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice