1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD burning fails with HP drive and Nero 6

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kfinpgh, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kfinpgh

kfinpgh Thread Starter

Help!

I have an HP 740b DVD burner. I use the Nero 6 software that came with the burner. My system has 512 MB RAM, XP SP2 and a 350 watt power supply. I just replaced the IDE data cable for the DVD and CD burners and switched power supply leads. The burners use the secondary IDE port. The hard drives use the primary.

The DVD burner is about 15 months old and has burned disks fairly regularly since I installed it. Some turned out to be "coasters", but not to the extent I experience now.

I also downloaded and installed driver updates from HP and removed the burner from the device list and let XP discover it again.

I can't get it to burn a DVD. The software reports the drive is empty or not ready and I just put a new blank DVD into the drive. Or, it burns about 68% and fails. I have 3 different brands of DVD disks: Dynex, Fuji and Maxell. The Dynex will usually burn at 2-4x, the Fuji anywhere from 2-16x and the Maxell usually at 8x. All now fail without completing the task.

The Nero software will burn a CD nicely, even using the new Memorex 52x burner I got for Christmas.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

It sounds like the burner is shot, you've tried all the right things. DVD burners will usually still burn CDs even when they no longer can burn DVDs (2 different lasers).

4. Crusnik

Crusnik

Didn't know they used two different lasers... Thats good info =D.

5. kfinpgh

kfinpgh Thread Starter

The DVD burner never liked the cheap CD-R disks I bought. That's one reason i have 2 separate burners.

I looked at new DVD burners. BestBuy has an LG one on sale for $60.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Cheap discs are always a mistake in the long run.

I use LG.

7. kfinpgh

kfinpgh Thread Starter

I unplugged the 52x cd burner and the dvd burner worked like a charm. i got another cd burner, replacing the memorex drive with a sony. same problem. jumpers are set correctly. dvd is master. cd is slave. can i use cable select without a twist in the cable?

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Your post is confusing. Dells at least seem to prefer CS. Make sure you use an 80 wire cable. Set the opticals to CS, Master goes on end (DVD burner), CD burner (Slave) on middle connector of the IDE cable.

9. kfinpgh

kfinpgh Thread Starter

I'm sorry if the post was confusing; this entire issue is confusing.

I tried using cable select jumper settings, but the cable provided with the cd burner didnt have a twist. That got me nowhere.

I set the jumpers to make the cd burner master and the dvd burner the slave. Doing that seems to have fixed the problem. Both devices burn their respective media using test files. I used Burn4Free for both burns because it gives me a lot more details than Nero. Let's hope that's a permanent cure to the problem. None of the troubleshooting or installation guides mention that.

I appreciate your input.

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Glad you got it, but note many DVD burner makers recommend the DVD burner be set to Master.

On Burn4Free note this statement:

Why does Burn4Free include NavHelper?
    Burn4Free has always been offered to the public at no charge.
    Development costs have been supported by the generous donations of program users.
    Although these contributions are greatly appreciated, they alone are insufficient to continue program development. Burn4Free now incorporates NavHelper as a sponsor to offset some of the program development costs.

The whole site seems to be one huge referral system.

11. kfinpgh

kfinpgh Thread Starter

For the benefit of the other readers:

Unfortunately, switching the jumpers didnt work. I had to resort to installing the CD burner into an external case I happened to have in my garage and using a USB interface for it. The DVD burner seems to be OK being alone on the cable ... for now.

My next step is to find a brand of DVD disks it likes. It tells me either to insert a disk or the drive is not ready on 4 of every 5 DVD disks I try. I am starting to wonder if buying DVD disks on spindles isn't such a good idea if the edges get chipped with handling.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice