1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Burning/recognition Issues & hangs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dchester11, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dchester11

dchester11 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if i have a hardware or software problem. I'm posting here because it seems like a driver issue to me but i'm not sure. I have:

nero 6.6.0.15 bundled,
    dvd shrink 3.2.0.15,
    DVDFAB Decrypter 2.9.8.3,
    PowerProducer 2 Gold,

and an LG DVD R/RW.

I would give more information about the drive but in the Device Manager it seems to have the 2 drives i have mixed up. I have a generic cd r/rw drive and it has that one labeled as an LG CD-RW CED-8080B. It says my DVD r/rw is a HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-4166B. Both say they are running correctly and are running a MS Driver v 5.1.2535.0.

Here are my symptoms:

-Putting in blank TDK DVD+R sometimes show as CDs in 'My Computer'. I have always used these and have gone on long streches with no problems with them. When I try to access the D drive like this it says the D drive is not accessible. incorrect function.

-Nero of any kind (SmartStart, Burning ROM, Express) hangs for probably 30 seconds or more before it loads if it loads at all. I have done several clean installs of Nero and it doesn't seem to help

-DVDShrink hangs completly and freezes many apps if it is asked to burn without having the correct media (or any media) in the D drive.

-PowerProducer freezes the system when asked to burn a DVD sometimes when i assume it thinks it doesn't have the right media.

The problem I am having is that sometimes, although slow, everything will still work. I am at a loss. Any more info help? Any ideas?

2. thechanmane

thechanmane

How long have the names been wrong on the drives? Was there a time when the names were correct or has it always been like this? As a quick solution until we know more information, try out what's below:

You're going to want to get Windows to recognize the drives correctly before you move on to finding an underlying issue. For the most part, this can be fixed simply by reinstalling or reinitializing the drives. If you have alternate drivers, try those out first. If no, go into the device manager and uninstall the drives. Allow Windows to restart afterward and then follow the on screen steps to add the new hardware. If they reinstall incorrectly and still have their names backwards, you're going to want to check them out physically. Make sure they both have the correct jumper settings (very important). If the jumper settings are already correct, try swapping them, move the drives around so the slave becomes the master or vice-versa. If you have them on the same ribbon, try swapping them with other devices to separate them onto two ribbons. If you're uncomfortable making these changes or simply don't want to bother, let us know and we'll come up with some more software or Windows solutions. Keep us posted with how it works out.

3. dchester11

Ok. I reinstalled the drivers with no change. I checked the drives to make sure they were installed correctly and here's how I have it set up.

Hard drive on IDE1 with master jumper set and on master plug (farthest from board).

LG DVD Writer on IDE2 with master jumper set and on master plug.

Generic CD Writer on IDE2 with slave jumper set and on slave plug (middle plug on cable).

This is exactly how it says to set it in mobo manual and LG manual. Upon looking closer, I may be wrong about it read the drives backwards though. When I open 'My Computer' it has my (D:) as 'DVD-RAM Drive' and my (E:) as 'CD Drive'. Also, when I looked closer at what it had in the Device Manager it has 'HT-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-4166B' which is the right model # (gsa-4166b) but the wrong brand and same with the other drive. 'LG CD-RW CED8080B' seems to be the right model # but is not an LG. So I'm kind of getting conflicting information.

4. thechanmane

thechanmane

That's good to hear that everything is set up correctly and that Windows is recognizing the drives correctly (well, somewhat :)). I don't think the misinformation is any serious concern. Do you have the latest firmware for each drive? What specifically are you trying to burn with Nero or the other programs (i assume DVDs, but want to be sure)? Lastly, do you use the integrated Windows CD burning service, or even have it running?

5. dchester11

I am trying to burn DVDs. As far as the firmware is concerned, I'm not sure how to check it but I don't see a place to update it either on the LG website.

I don't use the Windows CD burner. I'm not sure if it's running or not, but under Properties>Recording for each of the drives I have the 'Enable CD Recording on this drive' box UNchecked.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Often times Generic Optical Drives are manufactured by better known manufacturer. Such as LG. The Model Number displayed by Windows is actually the number reported to windows by the drive. The LG CED8080B has been around for quite a while and is a common drive used by "White Box" companies and as Generic CDRW Drives. Often the Model on the Packaging is the Model Number of a Retail Kit for these drives.

7. dchester11

well thank you. That explains one mystery to me. Any idea what's causing my other problems?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!