1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD burning software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by helpseeker, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I use Easy CD&DVD Creator to burn DVDs. Recently, I wanted to make a DVD of a legally downloaded movie that I got in .avi format, to play on any standard DVD player. When I found that the .avi format wouldn't work, I got a couple of file conversion programs, but can't seem to get DVDs that will play.

Is there freeware or shareware software that will allow me to burn .avi or DivX files to a DVD that will then play in the standard players?

Also, if I don't go that route, what must I convert the .avi or DivX files to in order to be able to play on a standard player?

2. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

What you need is dvd authoring software to convert the .avi file and create the proper dvd structure.
    Try DVD Flick it's free http://www.dvdflick.net/

3. helpseeker

I tried flick. It converted the avi to .vob files, along with the accompanying ifo and bup files. But when I tried to play them in my dvd player, I got the message that it can't play this disc.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

How did you burn those files to dvd? You should have ended up with two folders, a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder. Those two folders need to be burnt to dvd using the UDF file system.

6. helpseeker

I opened the VIDEO_TS folder and then burned all those files to the dvd. I didn't do the AUDIO_TS folder. Should I not have opened the VIDEO_TS folder, and just burn the folder to disk?

7. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Yes, burn the folders not just the files. Burn both the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folders to the disk. Note the AUDIO_TS folder will most likely be empty it is there for compatability.

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

That's not entirely correct. Using the UDF file system would denote some sort of packet writing, DLA type of DATA burn. It won't work.

DVD-Video media use UDF version 1.02. These discs contain a so-called UDF Bridge format, whereby both an ISO 9660 (Level 1) and a UDF 1.02 filesystem are present on the same disc,

To the OP. DVD Flick comes with ImgBurn (the best DVD writer) included. Open it and set it to "Build' mode and add your VIDEO_TS folder. You could have set it automatically burn after the conversion.

9. helpseeker

Did what you said and it worked fine. Thanks!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice