1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Burning

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Zabuza, Oct 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zabuza

Zabuza Thread Starter

Hi, I own a Dell (P4 processor, Windows XP, 1GB RAM) and I want to put a DVD burner in it. Can I just buy any burner and install it, or are there compatibility issues?

2. Zabuza

Zabuza Thread Starter

I bought it a month ago, but cheeped out and got the CD-RW instead of the $70 DVD burner.

3. Zabuza

Zabuza Thread Starter

Someone please help me.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You should be able to, but Dell has suggested in the past that you may not be able to. You will need to contact Dell to be sure.

5. bsodcsi1

bsodcsi1

:D :D :D :D In todays computer world it is a safe bet that any DVD you purchase will be ok with the system. As long as its IDE based you should be fine. One note though is do you have a available open channel for the device. Dell by default gives you a primary and secondary IDE port to choose from. Each port will allow a master and a slave device. If you have a CD-RW, A single hard drive and maybe a Ram reader you would have one open channel for you to use. Check what devices are using what and this will help you decide. Also please read you instructions that come with the new drive. Some older models required them to be a master drive, so if this is your case you will need to change some jumpers on your excisting devices. No big deal but good to be aware of early so you don't kill yourself later. Hope this helps. Please let me know how everything works out. :D :D :D :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/412580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice