1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD burning

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by reef_05, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reef_05

reef_05 Thread Starter

I am trying to burn a DVD of 9 video clips each at around 400Mb, all of them are AVI. I have put together a Menu, but its telling me that I can only fit 2 of these clips on. Whats the best format for burning to DVD? And does it change the format automatically to be a bigger file?

2. Sponsor

3. Rache

Rache Banned

MPEG2 is a compressed conversion of AVI which loses little quality but is a lot smaller in file size. Nero can do this. MPEG1 compresses even more but loses more quality.

4. reef_05

reef_05 Thread Starter

The bit that I am more confused about is the idea that 9 of these clips should easily fit on as is, but when I run them through the DVD producer programs they boost up to 1-2GIG each.

5. Rache

Rache Banned

Are you sure they're avi, as with even small clips they'd be big files? They aren't mpeg1 and the burner is converting them to mpeg2?

6. bonzobob999

bonzobob999

Thats correct, if you use Nero vision express it will recode them to fit on a DVD but it won't fit all 9 on a DVD, try 3....on each DVD 3 DVD's containing 3 Vid's is not to bad.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Change the bitrate in your authoring program to some thing lower untill they fit. Note quality decreases as the bitrate drops. You could also go to Half DI which should work better if your bitrate drops too low in Full DI.

8. reef_05

reef_05 Thread Starter

With the half DI, what is that short for? I'm using iDVD on mac, but they came from a PC. Also I did a burn with 2 clips on it, but neither work on it at all. They play through windows media playing but not through quick time on mac! Do I need a plug in to play AVI's in quicktime? Will that make a difference with the authoring and burning?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!