1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Capacity question

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cmcnally, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

I'm new to burning DVDs and am having some issues with how much data they can hold. I'm using a Iomega External DVD drive. I'm not sure what model it is, but it shows up as LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1635 USB Device in my Device Manager. I'm using Philips 4.7 GB 1-16x DVD-R discs, and I have both Iomega Hotburn Pro, and UltraISO installed for burning. (I previously had Nero 7 on this machine, and it didn't really run so well.) When I use the Iomega software, I get a message that there isn't enough room on the DVD if I try to burn more than approximately 4.2 gigs. With UltraISO, I get a message that says "Error Reserving Zone for Burn" when trying to burn a 4.67 Gig DVD. (I'm trying to burn 28 rar files that total 4.67 gigs.) My question: if the DVDs say 4.7 gigs, why am I having these issues? Are there some burner settings I need to adjust? Do I have the wrong drivers installed? Is there some kind of index that takes up half a gig, and if so, can I eliminate it?

2. emoxley

emoxley

Every blank disc has info on it about the manufacturer, the disc ID code, info on being a +R, or -R, or RW, or DL disc, etc...........
    This info takes a little space. That's what you're running into.
    Even though they're a little expensive, if your burner is capable, you can get and burn to a double layer disc. They hold 8.5 GB.
    Good luck! :)

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck

http://www.imation.com/support/products/dvd_media.html

The problem is that computers and DVD drives and its media count the numbers differently. Computers count according to a binary system (base 2). The creators of DVD standards decided to count bytes in a decimal system (like a human counts). A DVD labelled for 4.7GB capacity actually only holds 4.39GB in computer terms.

Total storage capacity may be even less on DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs, because these discs require formatting before or during burning, and the format takes up space as well.

In computer terms: 1GB = 1 gigabyte = 1,073,741,824 bytes

In DVD terms: 1GB = 1 gigabyte = 1,000,000,000 bytes​

4. thecoalman

thecoalman

A quick tip, I try and keep my burns under 4 GB. Failures are more likely to occur at the end of the burn.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are falling victim to "disk manufacturer gigabytes". A 4.7gig DVD has a 4,700,000,000 byte capacity. When you convert them to real gigabytes, you get 4.377gigs, which is the real capacity of a single layer DVD.

6. kaaos

kaaos

There are programs that can shrink the movie to fit on one dvd even if its more than4.7gbs

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    They won't help cmcnally much. They are trying to burn RAR data files on the DVD.

I am not that familiar with creating RAR files. Are there any settings in the RAR compression program that make it try to maximize the compression?

8. kaaos

kaaos

maybe zip it then rar the zip ?

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

No raring a zip, or zipping a rar for that matter, gains you no further compression factor.

As far as rar they do have the ability to span the rar but with 28 files I should think its easy to remove 1 file and have a good burn. There are different rar compression types but again its only going to help depending on whats rared to being with. You can only compress some things to a certain extent. I.E. Word documents compress down a heck of alot more than an AVI file.

10. cmcnally

cmcnally Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I don't think I've ever posted anything that generated so much discussion. Glad I now understand what's going on.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You want to make a post that generates lots of discussion, drop into Civil Debate and post something on religion or politics! :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!