1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dvd/cd Drive Not Shown In Device Manager Or Computer, I need

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nips, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nips

nips Thread Starter

Hello, i am new here so her goes..
    After updating my Dvd/cd drive last night and then rebooting caused my computer to startup up slow. At the dell startup up screen it stays completed for around a minute or so and then loads up fine. When i went to My computer and Device Manager it doesnt show up. I tried unplugging and replugging the Dvd/CD cables inside but that didnt change it.
    Please help.

2. DerekC

DerekC

Welcome to TSG, nips.

By "updating", what do you mean (drivers, firmware, the actual drive, etc)? Also what kind of computer do you have will help.

3. nips

nips Thread Starter

Hello thank for the reply,
    When i mean update i mean the firmware. This started after uninstalling Roxio. Then i couldnt see my DVD in My computer, but i could in device manager. So i tried updating my DVD drive, but now it doesnt show up anywhere.

My computer is a Dell E520

CPU Type: Core 2 Duo 1.8ghz E4300
    Memory(RAM): 2gb
    Motherboard Name: Dell DM061
    BIOS type: Phoenix(03/23/07)
    Graphics Card: nVidia Geforce 7300LE
    SATA DRIVE

4. baladio

baladio

Maybe try updating everything else, but most importantly, the BIOS, in case it can't detect the "new" device. And/or you may want to reset the BIOS to the original settings, or maybe look to see if something needs to be changed in the options for the optical drive(s).

A little tip: it helps us if you input your system specs at your account profile, and also input how much you know.

5. nips

nips Thread Starter

I am Updating BIOS will put my specs in my profile. I have changed all my BIOs SETTINGs to default. Will post the results of updating.

6. nips

nips Thread Starter

After updating my Bios it didnt do much,,But after every reboot there is a 'found new harware' popup. I try to install it automaticall but it doesnt work. I checked in Device manager, it is a IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. any ideas.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, there is no reason to flash a bios unless the update has a fix or feature you need. Just updating a bios to have the latest is really asking for a problem.

From your post it seems you updated the firmware for a dvd drive. Are you sure this drive even works now?

Does the dvd drive ID in the bios correctly?

Have you pulled the dvd drive and checked it in another system?

8. techservices24

techservices24

First, You should take the backup of the registry and then try to remove the lower and upper entries from the registry. Even if the issue persists then try to re-install the drivers of DVD/CD drive.
    Please go through the Microsoft KB article id: 929461 and 314060 for the complete troubleshooting on this issue.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The filters were most likely the original problem however since he flashed the drive's firmware, we do not even know if this drive works. Once the poster responds with the info on whether or not the drive IDs in the bios, we can proceed.

10. nips

nips Thread Starter

i can open and close my dvd drive. In the bios it says usb cd drive-not present.
    I have not tried it in another system.It worked fine before, i am not sure if i flashed the dvd drive with the right driver.
    The upper and lower filters arnt in my registry.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, is this a usb type drive or an internal type dvd drive?

If it is usb, then simply test it on another system.

If it is internal and does not ID in the bios, the drive has failed. I assume you have checked/reseated all connections for the drive.

FWIW firmware updates whether for drives, motherboards, etc are done ONLY to correct a specific issue that the firmware update addresses. They are not done just to have the latest or because you think it might fix a problem.

12. nips

nips Thread Starter

It is an internal dvd
    Is there a way to flash it back?
    I updated my bios becasue BALADIO asked me to

13. nips

nips Thread Starter

what do u mean by "ID"

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You may be able to flash the firmware back to what it was before. Check on the dell site for any to see if they list the old firmware. What I think most likely happened is that you flashed the wrong firmware.

I doubt it will work however you can try.

You are lucky. You have learned a lesson about updates and it did not cost much. DVD drives are very cheap. A new dvd burner is $21 at newegg. Note that is for an ide type device which is what you probably have. A sata burner is $25.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It does you no good now however not seeing an optical drive after removing burning software is a common problem and is usually corrected by running a reg fix that you can download.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/821365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice