1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD/CD drive pulled a David Copperfield???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qpqpzmzm, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

I am at a loss.

My computer seems to be running fine. I have had no problems with it for a very long time and today I went to put a DVD in the disk drive and opened my computer to see NO LINK for the disk drive listed.

SO I thought no problem go to option 2 and let it autostart. Usually if I put a CD or DVD in it starts up and loads the program. Well it is making the sound like it is loading, I can hear it turning but nothing happens.

Any ideas what might SUDDENLY have happened and where I can go to try and verify the sudden disappearance of my drive's capabilities??

Any help is appreciated???

----

- Windows 2000 5.0
    - Toshiba laptop Satellite Pro 4600

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Thx for the quick help. I am running Win2000 and not XP and am wonderingif I should try the instructions included with your link anyway???

4. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Based on some info I am reading in the link you gave me for XP I have started to search around and went into my 'Control Panel', 'System' 'Device Manager' and when I click on my DVD/CD I get the following error

I am going to continue to poke around to see if they offer any solutions in the 'Trouble Shooting'.

Any help is appreciated.

qp

5. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

OK, in the 'TroubleShoot' Dialogue boxes it appears that I might have to uninstall and then re-install the CD/DVD drive.

I have never messed with the physical part of my equipment before (just downloaded programs and troubleshot) and I wanted to get some suggestions before I do. Below, in quotes, is the entire contents of the TroubleShoot dialogue and I have bolded below the parts I think I need to follow.

Could someone let me know if they think I should procede or if there is something else I should be doing.

Point 5 from this above

is a little worrisome to me.

Any help is appreciated.

qp

6. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Bump.

Looking for some last minute help before I just start trying to uninstall and then remove the disk drive.

qp

7. Flags

Flags

qpqpzmzm: Physically removing the device basically means disconnecting the IDE cable and Power to the device. There is no need to take it out of the box.
    No magic involved here, just do it.
    Or have you already done so?

8. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Not yet...but I plan to tonight...time permitting.

Thx for the info.

I googled IDE Cable but still am not sure what an "Integrated Drive Electronics" Cable is and how I disconnect it.

Is there a link to a site that walks me through this process with pictures preferably.

I am assuming I am physically opening up my computer and I have never done that before.

Thx again for the help.

9. JohnWill

The advice about the limits also applies to 2K, there's also an article somewhere in the MS-KB for 2K, I just marked this one for XP.

10. Conrad747

Conrad747

there are cables connected to your drive: IDE, power and audio. IDE is the flat cables which looks like the wires are "glued" together. power cable has 4 wires. audio has 3 wires. unplug your computer before opening your case if you haven't done so before.

11. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

thx for responding.

I have to admit that this process seems a lot more daunting to me then the "uninstall" option others are giving me. THe above linked article involves poking around the registry and looking for things that might not be clearly marked.

That being said I am willing to try it all but I am wondering if you have read some of the other lesser suggestions and if you think I should maybe try them first or just jump to this as you believe (know?) that is what is needed.

When I get to home office tonight I plan to tackle this so any guidance you can give me is much appreciated.

qp

12. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

Unplug...and pull the battery???

Have you seen the link in the first post reply and do you think this is what is needed...if so...would you suggest just do it first since it incorporates the Uninstall.

And BTW I am assuming I am just re-installing the same drive...right? I have not purchased a new drive and am assuming we are trying to get this one moving???

thx again

qp

13. Conrad747

Conrad747

just don't have power on it before you open your case. you don't have to remove your battery. it will take you 5 minutes to do the process of opening your case and re-seat the cables from motherboard and drive.

14. JohnWill

In my experience, the symptoms you are describing will not be corrected by uninstalling the CD and putting it back in. FWIW, I've used this repair on 2K several times, since until about three weeks ago, I was running 2K on my prime machine. I've also used this on several other 2K machines.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/302268

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice