1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD/CD drive quit, do I need to replace it???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nehifamily, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nehifamily

nehifamily Thread Starter

I have a basic emachines desktop model#w3507 still running XP. I have been using the DVD drive pretty actively lately creating photo slideshows and such for family. I left it performing a task lastnight and went to bed. When I got up, I attempted to finish the task. It wouldn't. It kept saying the drive was empty. I changed disks to no result. It won't read DVD, music CD, or software. It persists in saying the drive is empty. I ran the trouble shoot and uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers. Restarted the computer with no luck.

Properties says the drive is functioning, but the drive always says it's empty.

When you put any disk in, there is no automatic response and I haven't seen a read light come on (though I never paid enough attention before to know if there IS a read light on the drive).

Does this mean the drive is bad and needs to be replaced?

2. bigbear

bigbear

If the drive is still recognised in "my computer"? then it sounds like it has died, it happens.
    They are pretty cheap to replace these days

3. nehifamily

nehifamily Thread Starter

My Computers does still say the drive is there.
    Is replacing it something I can do on my own?
    Does it require more than basic tools?
    I'm not brilliant, but I can follow directions. :)

4. bigbear

bigbear

That confirms to me that it is a hardware failure and not a registry problem.
    Yes they are fairly easy to replace, just make sure you get the correct type.
    Optical drives come in two controller types Pata and Sata.
    I suspect because of the age of your machine you would need pata also know as ata or ide
    Good link to show how to replace the drive http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/769255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice