1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD/CD Drives not showing up?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Bobert, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr.Bobert

Mr.Bobert Thread Starter

I have a bizarre problem with my Dell Dimension, eh, what was it... *looks around for faceplate that... 'fell' off* Oh, Dell Dimension 3000.

A while ago (a while being about 2-3 years...), someone broke the DVD drive's disc-holder-thingy off, so I recently replaced the drive itself with the exact same drive from a different Dimension 3000. And while I was at it, I replaced the old CD-burner drive (which liked to break discs in half somehow o_O) with the exact same one from that other 3000. They work fine, however, they randomly stop working-- They're getting power, so you can open/close them just fine, but they don't register at all on the computer. In 'My Computer' they don't show up, and a game won't find the disc it needs to play. Restarting fixes the problem, but it just repeats the cycle, making me restart again anywhere from half an hour to an entire day later.

This is extremely annoying, as the computer has so much stuff on it that it takes forever to load. Is there any way to, I dunno, reset the drives without completely restarting the computer? Or some other way to permanently fix it?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Are they IDE drives
    Check the data cables are fully plugged in
    Check the jumpers are correctly set

can we have the configuration - whats in the PC - if IDE whats on each controller and whats set to master and whats set to slave

3. Mr.Bobert

Mr.Bobert Thread Starter

._. Your tech lingo is making me feel stupid, because I have no idea what you mean by some of those. However, I do know that the wires are plugged in correctly.

So, I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but... what's IDE mean, and how would I check to see if they are IDE, what are jumpers, and... Well, I didn't understand anything in that last part.... I assume the main drive would be master, and second would be slave, amirite? So, assuming that's right, the DVD drive is the main one, and the CD is the secondary... *shrugs*

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry for that
    this is an IDE connection
    http://www.rhyshaden.com/images/dvd_ide.jpg
    you can have two devices each cable - normally the cable has three connections - one for the motherboard and two for the devices - to take upto two..
    see the little blue thing to the left - thats a jumper - you can take that off those two pins and move them to the other pairs -
    now on any one cable with two devices you need to make sure they jumpers are correctly set
    so you have to have 1 as master and the other as slave - or BOTH using cable select - settings for each of those pins

so the 2nd half was
    How many of those cables are in the PC and what are they connected to

5. Mr.Bobert

Mr.Bobert Thread Starter

Ah, I see. Yes, they are IDE, then. There is a jumper, but it is white (I assume coloration does not mean anything?), and it is on the CD Drive. And instead of being on the right, like in the picture, it is on the left.... should it be on the right, and on the DVD?

Also, there are two IDE wires in the computer-- both with three connections. The one that goes to the DVD/CD Drives to the motherboard, and one that goes to the Hard Drives/Motherboard. (I installed a second hard drive a while ago, and it works fine... That wouldn't mess with the CD/DVD Drives at all, right?)

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so we have one IDE cable with two harddrives
    and the other IDE with the DVD and the CD drive on
    correct?

Now the master / Slave / cable select jumper positions all vary by different manufacturers and also by model - so the jumper could be anywhere - and yep - colour does not matter

heres an image showing the jumpers and the label showing the different positions
    http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2004/1215/08-optical-jumper.jpg
    and this one shows that no jumper is also valid
    http://studynotes.net/images/seagate-jumpers.gif

how where they connected in the old unit - what was on what cable ?
    if they where both on the same cable - then your fine ....

of course this may not be the issue -

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/909099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice