1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD/CD-ROM does not recognize DVDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David Cohen, Dec 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. David Cohen

David Cohen Thread Starter

Please help - the tech support people where I bought my computer (Ibuypower) gave up.

The problem: My NU DVDRW DDW=061 DVD/CD-ROM, while recognizing data disks and audio CDs and able to burn copies of both, does not even recognize the presence of a DVD in the drive.

When I put a DVD in the drive and check in my computer in the correct location, nothing shows up.

When I put a DVD in the drive my Power DVD states that the disk in the drive is in an unsupported format, and my Windows Media Playwer and my Real Player state that the there is no disk in the drive.

I unplugged and replugged in my DVD Drive (its a built in). This had no effect (nor did it change my ability to play CD audio.

I looked at the properties of the drive and all my programs are enabled to read DVD and all other media formats.

It stumped the tech support guys after 3 hours.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

2. Muddling

Muddling

I have a similar problem with a Plextor DVD rw and sorry but I haven't got it solved yet. I know your pain. Did you get yours working?

3. Scorpio500w

Scorpio500w

Hi mi name's Dave ok i had this problem b4 an a lot of ppl well what i did wus restore my windows! But be wanred if you dont know how to reinstall a windows dont try it, there must be some other way!

4. David Cohen

What do you mean by "restore my windows"? Do you mean reminstall windows? THat seems extreme.

Still haven't figured it out yet.

David

5. SHO95

SHO95

how about restoring windows to a date you know that the dvd was working properly?

6. SHO95

SHO95

Do you got windows xp?

7. SHO95

SHO95

If so then just got to start then help and support the click on system restore.

A calender will pop up and ask you to what date would you like to restore your system.
    if the dvd was working properly like last month just pick a day of the month. I would pick like the first of the month. Make sure you back up first. After its done and if you do not like what happen after the system restore you could tell it to return system the way it is today before the you did the restore.

8. Scorpio500w

Scorpio500w

Ok what widows is your computer? Usually Factory computers have their own system restore cd's that came when u bought the pc, if this is a custom pc (Build) you should get the Windows XP OEM version and reinstall windows, thats the fastest not easiest but if its an emergancy thats what i would suggest, or also try reinstalling software drivers, try goin to your cd drive's home page and troubleshoot, try to change ur drive from master to slave or slave to master, or suggest on cable select, or disconect drive and uninstall drivers then hook it back up and fully install the software, this is not a hard drill when u have back up ideas! Try it and tell me what goes on
    Dave...

9. David Cohen

HI all and thanks for your advice.
    My windows is Windows XP Professional. My problem is that after purchasing my computer I never had the opportunity to test my DVD (I never had the need for the past few months) so only now I found out that it does not work. I am unsure that a system restore will do anything since I have no proof that my DVD drive EVER worked.

10. otoe1

otoe1

If you purchased the complete system with the dvd included, then the tech support should have replaced the dvd for you....no questions asked.

You may need to locate the dvd manufacturer web site and do a 'firmware' upgrade for said dvd.

Which will be a better alternitive to a re-install or system restore on your puter.

Good luck.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/312702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice