1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD/CD Rom recognized but won't read/write

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tmiller918, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmiller918

tmiller918 Thread Starter

I have a problem. I started working for a company that requires me to boot to a Linux system from a DVD. After about a week, the DVD drive just stopped spinning/reading. The drive is still recognized by Windows, I've uninstalled and the system reinstalls it no problem. I've also deleted the upper and lower limits that have been posted on similar sites. I tried the Microsoft Fixit solution as well. The first time it happened, after deleting the upper/lower limits in the registry, the DVD drive started working again. Then after shutting down from the Linux system, the DVD drive would not read again. I did the Fixit Solution and it worked again. After shutting down from the Linux system the next time, the DVD drive stopped working again. Now nothing will seem to get it to work. Any suggestions?

I've contacted the company and they say there is no way the boot into Linux from the DVD is changing any settings in Windows because it completely bypasses the system but something has to be happening to cause the DVD to stop working. Help!!!

2. dai

dai

try cleaning the lasers

try a new data cable on it

try the drive in another machine

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If it still boots into linux from that DVD disk try this even though it looks illogical. After using linux shutdown the computer (don't restart, shutdown completely then power up and go straight into windows and if the DVD drive isn't working shutdown again then boot into windows again and try it then.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice