1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD/CDRW will not read certain disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monster, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monster

monster Thread Starter

Hi I have a Toshiba SD-R1002 which used to work properly but now will only read particular CDs and will not recognise blank CDs at all. I have not had any problems playing DVDs. It is not caused by scratched CDs and have tried everything I can think of to fix the problem. Has anyone got any ideas?

Any help much appreciated,
    Monster:confused:

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

3. monster

monster Thread Starter

Cheers for the link- I havent tried that particular piece of software, and I'm afraid that I don't really know how to go on from here. I've considered buying a new drive but am worried that I will get the same problem.

When I insert a disk it begins to spin it and then stops and does this over and over until it appears to give up and then stop. I asked some guy in a computer shop and he reckined that the drie was probably knoackered and I'd need a new one (what a suprise!) However, the fact that it still plays some disks and not others and its always the same disks that work leads me to suspect that the salesman may be mistaken.

Once again, eternal gratitude to anyone who can help!

4. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Hey Monster, sucks about the drive, but I've heard alot of problems coming from the DVD/CDRW drive and you said that you were afraid to buy another because you thought that it would have the same problem... Well there is a good chance that it would. Have you considered buying seperate drives? That is what I did and I've had no problems, and I probibly spent less money on them. I'd suggest going to www.newegg.com and buying a LiteOn 52x24x52 CDRW drive I got mine for under $50 there, then look at newegg or www.tigerdirect.com they usually have DVD drive there for a cheap price I got my drive there for $40

5. monster

monster Thread Starter

I did post this problem ages ago under a different name and someone suggested that it was a problem with the ASPI layer. I've downloaded all the gubbins to check that and it says everything is ok. So thats not it.

Wanted: one computer genius to solve this problem.....

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sounds like a bad drive, buy one from a place that takes returns and give it a shot. Samsung makes nice combos that can be had for about $60.

Johnwill could probably tell you where to get for about $15 after rebates. ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!