1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd & cd's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LCalder865, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LCalder865

LCalder865 Thread Starter

I just got a new computer from Gateway. I ordered a 48x Max Variable CD-ROM drive and a 4x DVD+RW/+R Drive w/CD-RW. When it got here it had a 16x/48X DVD-ROM drive and a 48x/24x/48x Recordable/Rewritable CDRW. What is the difference and should I make them change it to what I ordered? I know nothing about these things. I want to be able to write to CD's for backup and copy other CD's for music. I would also like to have the DVD to copy movies. Is this possible on the same computer? I also order XP Pro and they sent XP Home Edition. Should I press the issue there. I wanted Pro because I heard you could access remote computers. I need to access my work computer some times. I have dial up internet at both places. I also ordered P4 @ 2.4 GHz w/533 MHZ front side bus/512K L2 Cache ahd 512MB 1066 RDRAM (2x256 modules) and got [email protected] MHz w133MHz external bus and 512MB 266MHz PC2100 DDR SDRAM. Sorry this is so long but I need to know if I should make them give me what I ordered or what. Just need to know what I have.

Model: Gateway 500S PLUS

INTEL 2.4GHZ W/512K CACHE PENTIUM 4 PROCESSOR & MOTHERBOARD

512MB 266MHz PC2100 DDR SDRAM

120GB 7M Ultra ATA Hard Drive

VX930 19 Monitor ( 18 Viewab le)

48x/24x/48x Recordable/Rewrita ble CDRW

16X/48X DVD-ROM Drive

Iomega 250MB USB External Zip Drive

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You bet you should squawk! You got cheated out of DVD write capability, which is worth a couple hundred. If they promised the first option, I sure wouldn't pay the same for the second configuration, since they swapped a DVD writer that's worth at least $200 for a drive that's worth about $40.

3. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

You've been bamboozeled....if you paid for a dvd burner demand the make it right

4. LCalder865

What I need to know is if what I ordered is what I need. I know nothing about DVD or CD's

5. Epic

Epic

It appears that what you ordered is what you need. What you received, however, won't do everything you need to do.

You got a DVD-ROM drive. ROM means "read-only memory." In other words, you won't be able to copy movies (or anything else) to DVDs. You'll only be able to watch movies already written to a disc. Your CD-RW drive sounds fine for what you need. Since you'll probably need to have them replace the DVD drive, you may as well have them load XP pro for you as well. Good luck.

6. n2gun

n2gun

If you intended to write movies to dvd disks you definitely want.

7. monted

monted

dial that #

8. LCalder865

I have called and left a message for my sales person and she has never returned my call. I email a rep and he said to contact my sales rep. I quess I am going to have to get in touch with a supervisor.

9. monted

monted

tell them to give you your XP Pro & RDRAM,too.
    also your bus speed is far lower with what they've sent you.
    you will probably have to send it back & get what you've paid for instead of what they se3nt you. looks like they either made a mistake(as most company do,due to lack of people giving a ****)or they tried to burn you (into a dvd,lol).

10. JohnWill

The way I deal with people like this is I call the credit card company and tell them that it's a bogus charge. I explain that they sold me one thing, and sent me another, and now won't talk to me. It gets quick action every time! :) Hit 'em in the pocketbook, sometimes it's the only language they understand. :D

11. monted

monted

word, johnwill

12. LCalder865

Just to let you quys know, Gateway is making all of my requests good. After a few calls placed to higher up people my sales rep finally called yesterday and said yes she had all of my requests written down and it would be taken care of. They are sending them to me so I won't have any down time. Thanks for your words of widsom. Most of the time I let people wall on me. It felt good to stand up for what was right.

13. monted

monted

let us know when they accually have the job done.

also,what are they sending you, again?

14. LCalder865

The program upgrade to XP Professional and a new DVD-RW combo with CD-RW. The 533 MHz was a type error. They said they did not even carry that processor anymore. They are verifing that and will get back to me on that. The DVD-ROM will read the CD's also so I am okay with that. If they don't deliver by Feb 1 like they said (the drive I wanted is on back order) I will call again. If I have to I will go to the top. I am not in a real hurry for that as I do income tax and bookkeeping and will not have time to mess with that until Spring.

15. JohnWill

Something smells fishy about the 533mhz FSB processor, that's what I'm typing on here. The other option is a 400mhz FSB, guess which one I'd rather have. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!