1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD copy?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by firefighter064, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. firefighter064

firefighter064 Thread Starter

Is there anyway to copy a DVD? Is there a ripping program out there that will do this?

I found two places that looked ?maybe? promising.
    RecordNow Max 3.01 (found at download.com)
    and www.dvdripping.nl

I do not think that copying DVDs is illegal. Remember the good old days of VHS and copying? That was not illegal. What makes it illegal is if you sell the tapes or charge people to view the tapes. There is no harm done if you do not profit from it!

Thanks for your help!

2. TechChick

TechChick

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not illegal to make copies of something you already own. So if you purchased a DVD, you can rip it if you want. If you purchased a CD, you can rip it. You can't legally make copies of DVDs you rent or CDs you borrow. However, since people are making illegal copies of things like movies and music CDs, companies have started to implement copy protection which can prevent owners from making copies of media they already own.

3. firefighter064

firefighter064 Thread Starter

OK...so how do I do it?

4. swwelsh

swwelsh

Do a search on any engine for DeCSS. That will lead you to software, as well as many discussions on the issue of dvds, copy protection, etc. If you have a lot of time to kill, try the same search on Google groups

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice