1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD datafilesstuck on read only

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aaronqq, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aaronqq

aaronqq Thread Starter

I have a new Gateway GT4020 desktop with XP Media

Edition.I have several plain text MS Word and

Notepad files on my desktop that I can't copy to

DVD. I am able to open them by clicking on them to

bring up Word or Notepad. When trying to copy to

DVD, I consistently get the error message "Windows

encountered a problem when trying to copy this

file".
    I have "enable drag & drop" enabled. I never had

this problem with my replaced Gateway computer.

Please help me.
    I was able to write files to a dvd-rw disc. However,

I can't alter the word files because I get the error

"can't change, read only. I can't change read only

status due to the error Access Denied".

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. dz03

dz03

Did you try disabling the "Read-Only" option by clearing the checkbox in the Properties dialog of the files?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The profram that allows this is written by Roxio and it is just a scaled down version of the drag and drop. I beleive if you install the full version of RRoxio your problem should be solved. However Roxio and Nero do not get along too well.

4. pwaggs

pwaggs

delete it, go into recycle bin, right click it, and uncheck read only.drag file onto desktop.

5. aaronqq

aaronqq Thread Starter

I tried a suggestion given by another responder. I made a copy of an MS Word file & placed it in my C: directory. In this directory, it's properties list it as NOT read only. However, if I drag it to my DVD, I get the very helpful error message "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file". If I use Nero to make a data CD, it burns ok but I still get the file on disc stuck in the Read Only state which can't be changed (access denied error). I am using TDK DVD R/W, 4.7GB Discs. I thought this would have a simple solution, but apparently something in the SW only allows Read Only burns & it's very frustrating.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

For one thing any file on a disk like a CD-R or DVD is going to be read-only there is nothing you can doa bout it.

If you are using Nero on your computer and it does things just a bit differently and not being a real Nero fan I would have to do some digging for an answer for you. I knoiw the program Nero uses is Incd but exactly how it is done I will have to check it out.

7. aaronqq

aaronqq Thread Starter

So are you saying that a DVD R/W disk can only contain Read Only files? Am I missing something here?

8. bbearren

bbearren

9. aaronqq

aaronqq Thread Starter

I uninstalled then re-install Nero. InCD is running & cab be right click selected from the drive icon. Burning to DVD R/W still leaves me with a read only file on the disc. I again verified the source file was NOT read only.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

CD or DVD media is nothing like a hard drive or a floppy, it is a Read Only based media.

ReWriteable (RW) media means that you can erase the whole disk and ReWrite it. It does not mean that the disk is Read/Write in nature.

While InCD and DirectCD use a non-standard format (packet writing) to provide a form of "read/write" on a RW disk, its the most unreliable method of file storage around and as it is a proprietary format it will only be understood the the reading software that goes with the writing software.

XP drag and drop does not support DVD, only CD.

If you do use InCD to make the disk "read/write", be aware that the entire contents of the CD or DVD are at risk when you amend any file, the disks were never "designed" to be used in that manner.

InCD seems to give that much trouble on many XP systems that its always the first thing I ever remove.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!