1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Disc not recognized

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ebony, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home installed and my dvd/cd burner is a Device Description
    SONY DVD RW DRU-530A. I have burned many files,photos,and music on this unit using cd-r discs. I am now using DVD-r discs and the burner will not recognize the disc. I tried DVD+r discs and have the same problem. Attached is the statement I get when I try to burn a disc. Should I go back to a CD-R disc or what could the problem be? I have tried to burn using Windows and using Nero with the same result.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can't ever recall seeing a problem like that resolved except by replacing the drive itself.

There is probably something wrong with the optical laser/lens. It may be able to read one kind of disk, but not another.

Lens cleaners never seem to work.

Don't bother trying +RW disks, your model is strictly a -

http://sony.storagesupport.com/product/106

Looks like there is a diagnostic utility on that link, and a firmware upgrade. I'd certainly start with the diagnostic.

3. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

The player seems to recognize CD-R discs but not DVD-R discs. Does this make sense?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well the DVD disk is denser of course, so the laser has to be more discriminating. I just can't really speculate too much. I had a brand new system that would only work on non r/w media -- I returned it and had no problem with the new one -- so I think hardware is the suspect with these things most of the time.

Try the diagnostic on the Sony site. I'm curious to know what it does.

5. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I tried the diagnostic test and it all worked out o.k. This was with a dvd-r disc. Four tests.
    1. DVD-R 4GB blank success
    2.Creating test data set success
    3. Performing write test success
    4.Performing read test success
    When I put a fresh DVD-R disc into the player it indicates under properties no free space! The disc seems to be full.
    Also,I tried a CD-RW disc which shows full although it's new. How do I format it? There is no Format under file when I highlite the drive containing this disc.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Is there an "Erase...." in the right click context menu of the drive?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your burning software?

7. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I didn't uninstall,just reinstalled. I'll give it a try. There is no "erase" on a right click.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like the diagnostic utility had its own burning program, so I'm more inclined to think it might be a software issue.

You can try something like "DeepBurner" as a test also. The portable version is most handy.

http://www.deepburner.com/index.php?r=download

9. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. No help. I then downloaded Deepburner. To be honest I can't figure how to use the program. I think I'll find an empty CD-R disk and try it. That was the last type of disc I burned. I also have a feeling it's a software issue but can't fix it.When I put a fresh DVD-R disc into the burner and right click on the CD drive the disc shows up as full under properties when I know it's empty.

10. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I got Deepburner to work on a DVD-R disc as well as Nero. I burned a number of photos from both. Since it works on this program I guess the burner is ok? If that is so why doesn't Windows recognize the disk so I can just transfer the photos onto the drive? My burner dive is "g" dive. I put a DVD-R disc in and open the drive. It shows 0 bytes free space and total size 0 bytes. When I try to transfer a photo or file onto the drive I still get the message that Windows encountered a problem when trying to transfer the file. Any idea why Windows does not recognize the DVD-R disc. It seemed to work on a CD-R disc.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A bit of a longshot since your description of the problem doesn't quite match up with what we usually use this for (when the drive itself is not recognized in Explorer) -- but I'd give it a shot.

Following the directions on this link delete both the upper and lower filter values in the registry (both may not be present).

Also, remove/uninstall the DVD burner from the Device Manager and then reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

12. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

I did uninstall and reinstalled the dvd burner but it didn't help. I did find this problem which seems to fit "Windows XP does not recognize a DVD-RW disc" at the MS help and Support Site. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818733/en-us but their fix didn't work.

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yeah, that does seem pretty close -- I hadn't seen it before.

But you have SP2 right?

And now Nero does work on DVD-R disks?

What about -RW disks?

Windows is the only one with the issue?

14. ebony

ebony Thread Starter

Yes,Nero works fine. It was just easier using Windows but I guess it doesn't matter that much. I did download the patch from Microsoft to fix the problem but it wouldn't install because it said I had more advanced software already installed.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know what the Windows solution might be, but if it's any comfort you will find, once you get used to it, that your installed burner will complete a burn much faster than Windows could do it -- and will offer more options in adjusting parameters such as burn speeds if you need to do that.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice