1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd Doesn't recognize DVD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jono, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jono

Jono Thread Starter

I've had nothing but problems with my LG dvd drive. When I first got it I had no problems with it. Later on though it all of a sudden failed to read DVD's, but would still read and type of cd. CD data audio etc. I sent it away on it's manufacture's warranty. When it returned I hooked it up and it ran fine. But the next time I went to use it, one boot later it wouldn't recognize dvd's again. I had already tried many options when it first happened and went through all the settings, drivers etc on and on and came up with nothing. So I tried something different and switched my dvd to master and my cd burner to slave and it worked, but only once again. Next time I went to use it on the same boot it failed to recognize the DVD again. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Try going to the device Manger and remove the dvd rom and reboot and have it reload a new data base for that hardware and then reload the software needed to read Dvds.
    J

3. Jono

Jono Thread Starter

The driver i use for it is a standard one provided by microsoft windows (xp) When it reboots it just states that the new hardware has been found and automatically sets it up. It won't load a new database it just uses the previous one.

4. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=28
    Try the free trail.

You need more drivers for it to work and Xp don't have them or least the right ones.

Do you have the disk that came with the Dvd hardware.

The drivers might not be right, try the link and see if it fixes the problem then you will know it was the drivers.

5. Jono

Jono Thread Starter

I have the power dvd software to run DVD's etc, but when the install is run it sets up a microsoft standard cd/dvd rom driver. All the software set up on the computer should be right cause all install for it is done from cd. I have tried uninstalling all the software and setting it up again but it doesn't do anything. Not only will powerdvd not recognize a dvd but all xp explorer etc.

thanks anyway

6. Jono

Jono Thread Starter

When the drive is installed xp installs it as a standard dvd/cd. I don't have a copy of the proper driver and cannot find it anywhere. Not sure if there ever was one. The only software i got was power dvd software.

7. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

The software that XP installed should be fine. It loads the drivers that the Cd roms needs to work, it's the software that you need and it's drivers to have it work the Dvd.

If you loaded the software in and it still don't work, there might be a problem with the Dvd.

Now also because of XP the software might not for some reason work on XP and you need a updated software for Xp. Try that link and see if that does the trick for you.

I can't give you hot fixes but sure can give ideas to try :)

8. Jono

Jono Thread Starter

power dvd xp is the software i use. even if i didn't use that software my dvd rom won't even recognize the dvd and show it in win explorer. It would say " Please insert a disk into drive e: " but if i put a cd into it it loads up properly as if it's functioning perfectly. Since it worked when i got it is it possible that something may have happened to xp concerning it that could be fixed with a format and install xp again?

9. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Ok Jono two things to try

Ok it doesn't say dvd cd Rom on the drive letter,yeap don't sound right.
    Uninstall it again and install it from the Dvd rom drive only and when done installing the software. it sould say reboot just keep the Cd or put a dvd cd in the cd dvd Rom and reboot and then see if by doing this when rebooting it will sign the right Drive when it starts reading the Dvd after reboot. Seems it's looking at the other Drive and not the right one.

If not you can try this:

Lets do this and give this a try. Goto (My Computer) and right click and to properties on the bottom, from there goto the tab Restore and open and have your system restore it to a date when you know it was working.

Don't forget to do a www.windowsupdate.com after your done if you do the secound option. It's always good to keep everything updated.

J

10. n2gun

n2gun

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice