1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Drive absent on my CD/DVD player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeannecaboche, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeannecaboche

jeannecaboche Thread Starter

Hi,

My computer fell down about a month ago and I had to reinstall Vista because it wouldn't work anymore. However that seemed to be impossible. I then managed to install Windows XP which worked fine apart from the fact that my DVD/CD player did not read my DVDs anymore.
    I have now managed to install W7 with an external DVD player but my internal DVD player is still only working for CDs.
    I read that removing Upper and Lower filters from regedit would solve the problem but although I followed the right "path" I have been unable to find them, they never seem to have been created.
    I also tried removing the ATA channel from IDE controllers in the device manager, but without any success.
    In the device manager my dvd/cd drive is under the name of HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T40N ATA Device. When I right click on it on go into Properties and Details, the only "thing" in the Value box is "CD-ROM Drive". This means I am missing the DVD Drive right?
    I have already tried downloading it from the Toshiba Support (I was told to download the Firmware Update), but when I do so my computer says that it was not able to create the files and the firmware shows
    Extracting S0076410.154
    Cannot create S0076410.154
    Extracting S0076411.154
    Cannot create S0076411.154
    Extracting TD08TBT.exe
    Cannot create TD08TBT.exe

So there, that's my whole problem. I would really appreciate it if you could help me.
    I was told that maybe my DVD player was broken but if that was the case, how come it can read CDs?
    Thank you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice