1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive channels 0 &1 keep reapearing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lightmuncher, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lightmuncher

Lightmuncher Thread Starter

Hi, I have had problems, in fact, huge problems with my Win10 64bit every time I get updates. This is one that I just can't ignore sadly. I have to make 4 DVD disks that I had converted from 8mm film of our family. My mother doesn't think she will last the year out sadly. So she is wanting these films on to DVD asap. I am going down to her next week and I can't get the DVD drive to work. I have done two things. I opened up command prompt as admin and typed in 'reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001'
    That didn't work. I then deleted under devices - IDE ATA/ATAPI controller X2 channels. These were ATA channel 0 and ATA channel 1. Both of these when deleted and restarted Win10 the DVD drive reappears. Then it doesn't take long for it to disappear. I have no idea where to go to now?? Any advice would be greatfully recieved.
    Thank you for reading this

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You do know that Windows 10 doesn't include any program to read or burn DVDs.

So what program did you install to burn DVDs?

Note: I do not own any Windows 10 computers so I can't tell you good or bad burning programs for that OS.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is the DVD drive IDE or SATA

and what is it shown as in device manager, presuming that it is not shown in This Computer

4. Macboatmaster

I will stand corrected, but I think it does
    It does not have the previously used Windows DVD Maker introduced I think with Vista but then that was removed in Windows 8.
    https://www.easytechguides.com/burn-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-10.html

5. Lightmuncher

Hi, I have a few programs for burning DVD's. But it makes no difference about any software. The explorer should show the DVD/CD drive. At the moment it only shows when I start or restart my computer. When it does it disappears? I have no idea? I do the deletion of the channels 0 and 1 which resolves this when I restart. And then it just disappears. Everything like this always happen mostly when MS do their updates. I have problems elsewhere. Are they all related? I haven't resolved it enough sadly. I have been using Windows for years and it never surprises me at the problems it can cause. Burning disks is not a new process to me. I have done hundreds in the past.

The computer is all SATA as its only two years old. Thanks guys for you replies
    I am using DVD flick for creating the menu and converted films. Then it uses imgburn to put it all on disk
    I use Cyberlink Powedirectfor creating the videos, I don't burn any videos from this.
    Thanks guys for your input and help.

6. Macboatmaster

What are they please they may well provide a clue to this problem

and as I asked please what is shown in device manager when the drive is NOT shown in Explorer.
    Also what AV is in use please Defender or a third party one

Check if it stays shown in Safe Mode
    If it does then check if it stays shown in Clean boot

Ridiculous as it may seem, does the drive show if you insert a disc, as against it not showing when empty

7. Lightmuncher

n the desktop explorer The main problem is regarding the pinning to the start area where icons are pinned for quick access. I hope this has been written in a way that you understand. My last Windows didn't have this, it was just desktop of start listings on Win7. When I remove all the windows app icons and list the ones I want in this area. It stays there when I adjust all of it, but when I restart, it goes back to how it was before I removed all of it and all my work isn't there. It has only the MS icons. I haven't had time to sit and resolve it, but saying that I have dabbled to sort it without success. When Win Explorer is opened and I try to open a file to a new page, Windows explorer disappears, the taskbar of the desktop disappears as well as all the icons. Then probably this could be the cause of the issue? Thank you for your support

8. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    Please answer the other questions

9. Lightmuncher

Sorry, those parts are not sorted yet. Seems my basket of things to do is getting on top of me. I am going to use my other Linux comp to finish off as it has WINE installed and I think the DVD Flick works with it. Have the house up for sale, have people calling tomorrow afternoon so we are frantically running around the house dusting tidying etc. On top of all that I am about to collapse with chronic pain. So bear with me as I am very grateful for your help. The AV is 360 total security. So that bit is easy. Will try safe mode later, but I have my tablets to sort out as well and each part of the day is like dining on the things there are so many. And I find focusing on things and not letting my mind go adrift difficult as I live on morphine and Fentanyl. What part of Wales do you live? We lived (and I sadly we had to move here) in Ceredigion. A small village called Llanfair Clydogau. God, I miss that place, I really do. Well, that house really as we mostly rebuilt it back up. Loved going to Aberaeron, and Cwmtydu beach, then Aberwystwyth.
    Back to business as I am digressing. The drive shows if the disk is empty or gives the name of the given disk. Images attached. Will have to do the rest tomorrow. Thank you
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  11. Macboatmaster

This
    is probably your main problem as regards updates and the pinning etc.

That AV has never worked well with 10
    My strong advice is to uninstall it and use the included windows defender and windows firewall - even if only for testing purposes
    I recommend you do this EVEN if you are then going to go back to it
    I can assure you that your system will run far smoother and many things that are now causing problems will cease to do so

Nice area where you lived - do not know it very well but have visited a few times
    I live in Anglesey

12. Lightmuncher

Hi I am soo so sorry I hadn't returned to reply to your helping hand. I have been down to Oxfordshire and so many problems. I have appreciated your help so much and I hate it when you have put so much help for me. Anyway, these things are still around me and I have to put that to one side for now. I have found my problem. Well I think I have. I have a KVM link so as I can work with my Linux mint computer and the windows 10. Which I have had now for over 8 months now. Win10 works fine when disconnected from the KVM unit. As does Linux. Linux has had no problem being connected only Windows. I need the link between the two as I trust Linux more than ItrustWindows for security. I do my banking and buying only on this system. If I could get to do all the things on Linux, Windows will be ousted for good. YOu may think otherwise, i don't know. I installed Start Menu X on Win10 and all other problems now have gone. So a big thank you my friend for all your help and again I am sorry to have not gotten back to you sooner

13. Macboatmaster

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice