1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Drive-D Drive-DVD RW

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jrj0381, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrj0381

jrj0381 Thread Starter

A little while back, I started having trouble recording dvd rw, which the system supports +rw, -RW, and a few others. Now I am having issues with some previous disks that were successfully recorded to play. However, regular dvds, are playing fine, and I was wondering what the problem might be? Is it a cleaning issue maybe? Because the rewritable disks are not playing or recording. Thanks for any help or tips you might give me?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How exactly are the disks formatted "to play"? Do they contain data files, or were they burned as DVD movies? Who recorded them?
    Are you able to even browse the contents of the disks?
    What program are you using to try to play the disks? What errors, if any, do you get?
    What program are you using to try to burn disks? What errors, if any, do you get? Are the disks blank when you try to record to them? Do they need to be formatted?

3. jrj0381

jrj0381 Thread Starter

Thanks for looking. The ones that have been recorded successfully have files on them that were downloaded from websites via Mpeg files, or Windows Media files. They had some random stuff and were burned from my computer harddrive to them. I also had some CD_RW that were burned that downloaded music files on my computer. When I inserted them into the disc player, a popup would occur on whether I wanted to open it, or do nothing, and I think a few other choices came up. Sonic Record Now! is the program, which is designed for Toshiba computers, which is what i am using, and it is Windows XP operating system. The error message that came up when I tried to open one earlier though was saying device is not accessible, I/O. You know its funny, as I type this, I was just able to open one up, and it seems to be fine, but I am still having issues with burning blank ones. When the discs are blank, it tries to start, and about 45 seconds into the burn, it says its unable to write to the discs, and that is what I really want to see if I can do something about. Anyway, I appreciate your time, and any insight you may have. If they do need to be formatted, how would I go about doing it? Thanks, JJ.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like a hardware problem. If you can't even browse the contents of rewritable DVDs, there's probably something wrong with the drive itself. You don't need special software or drivers to do this.

5. jrj0381

jrj0381 Thread Starter

I guess this means I would need to take it in somewhere to have it looked at. Thanks for your time tonight, I do appreciate it.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

With new drives priced at only $30, there's no point in having someone "look at it" if they're going to charge you for the service. Just a get a replacement.

7. jrj0381

jrj0381 Thread Starter

Cool, didn't know that, but yeah, 30 is not bad. Thanks, a replacement would just be better all around. Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice