DVD drive doesnt read DVD's please help!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sammeh

i have a Toshiba Satellite 1800 and my DVD Drive (TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502) reads music CD's but no DVD's.:mad: (n)

Sammeh

yes, i have windvd on my computer p.s. i'm running off of windows XP

p.p.s when i go to 'my computer' the drive doesnt even see a dvd in it.

Sorry I forgot to ask what are the specs of your machine, processor and memory?
(Some DVD's need P3-800 or better and 256 RAM)

Sammeh

Intel Pentium III Processor, 851 MHz, 504 MB of RAM

when i try to access the disc i get the following: Windows cannot read from this disc. the disc might be currupted, or it could be using a format that is bot compatible with windows

the disc is not corrupt because it is not an illegal copy and it woprks in my TV's dvd player.

Good Afternoon Sammeh, what I am going to suggest to try to analyse your problem is a bit different to any normal idea. The reason being that it may be the DVD player with some inherent problem that might be difficult to otherwise nail.
If we might run a different operating system on your machine that should have the capability of running that DVD without having any effect to the existing installed system, it may more easily confirm if the machine has failed or if there is a problem with your current operating system. (eg drivers etc.)
If you might like to try this idea you can download the 60meg ISO file from http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ you can make your way to download Puppy 1.0.6 ISO or from one of the mirrors listed.
Having obtained that file, there is another you might obtain from this site called Burncdcc, scroll down to find and get it. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html
This is a simple little free ISO Burning program (it does nothing less and nothing more) that will burn and create a bootable disk from the Puppy ISO file. (These files are easiset left on the desktop)
You will of course need a machine with windows and a CD burner to do this.
Having created a bootable live CD, your machine can boot from this (use option 2 when asked) this will load the entire Linux system and its programs entirely into memory and will run as Ramdrive, as if it were a hard drive. You will be asked about your keyboard and mouse during the load. Select US qwerty, and the mouse type you are using etc. It may ask for a flash drive to save to, but if you leave it alone it will proceed and complete without further input. (no save situation) The system will load, appearing similar to W-95. The CD can be removed once the loading has completed. So in this situation everything is now running from memory with all programs included. (including a video player) Double clicking the mouse is no longer used. Do not attempt to save anything at this stage.
I will pause at this point to confirm if you wish to follow this idea.
Others may have different ideas.
qldit.

Sammeh

i have a bootable live disc of linux allready, knoppix i believe, and mandrake. i will try them 2morrow and see if it helps any.

Yes, but the problem with them is that they need to be left in the drive and I was of the opinion that drive was also your DVD.
Puppy is the only one I know of that can operate without any CD once it is loaded it can be removed completely.
Has this DVD operated correctly previously?
Have you tried different disks in the machine? (sometimes burned disks may not function in some machines but operate OK in others)
And if the problem only began at a certain date, have you tried a "restore to a previous time" before the problem began?
Sorry I should have asked those questions earlier.
Qldit.

Sammeh

its ascualy a friends laptop, ANd he claims it has had this problem for awhile. and like i said befor it is not an illegal disc. it is an ascual dvd disc. bought and paid for at a store brand new.

and i dont know really if mandrake can be removed. i guess its safer to go onto my desktop computer, download puppy, burn it and check it out that way. but how will this be helping me?

The problem trying to identify if the actual drive has died as against the software having a problem can be very difficult. This idea is simply to try to confirm where the problem actually is.
The disk may be some different media that the DVD is not programmed to read, that is why it different disks should be tried.
It often happens that the disk is the problem and another machine might have different read capability.
My understanding is that Mandriva and Knoppix Live linux disks need to be retained by the machine because they are needed for read purposes as different requirements are called.
Puppy is different as it is completely loaded to memory and runs from there.
Qldit.

Sammeh

i'll try your pupply linux to see if it is the drive itself that just isnt working.

Sammeh

i'm going to need you to give me a step-by-step dummys guide on how to do this...

Good Morning Sammeh, Yes it is different to windows, you need to only use one mouse click (left) a right click is different. You will soon get the idea.
O.K., working from the assumption that you have satisfactorily loaded Puppy and have a nice desktop showing and have done nothing else. (say 800X600 16 bit)
Remove the Puppy CD and place a known good simple DVD movie in the machine. Ensure it is properly seated and close the DVDRM. This is where a major difference occurs with Linux, the drive is not automatically mounted and will not auto-play.
From your desktop select start button > multimedia > open Gxine Media player.
This should give you a program with a black screen with sets of buttons (play ff rew)etc, across the bottom and a menubar across the top with File, View and Media selections.
If you click on File, then click on DVD in the drop-down menu, the DVD should show activity and with luck the movie will begin in the screen. Don't worry about sound.
If you can achieve this it proves your DVD machine is capable of working.
So you can close the GXine program down completely, this should give a clean desktop.
Place your DVD that was not working previously in the machine and repeat the procedure again opening GXine and hitting DVD in the drop-down as previous.
If your problem DVD does not work in this situation it means there is a problem with the media. If the previous movie DVD did not work or play it more or less confirms that your DVD machine is due for retirement and replacement.
Chances are that the first movie will play but the suspect one won't, this shouls also be the case in normal windows, if not there is a problem with drivers.
This procedure is the easiest way I know to determine this problem.
Let me know if you have any problems or questions. Don't expect this operating system to behave the same as windows.
Cheers, qldit.

Sammeh

sorry to say this but ur first asumption is incorrect. i need a step-by-step on what to put on the CD. i went to the site u told me about and got completely lost and friustrated.

i know what to do once i have it on but i am afraid that maby puppy will not like my dialup winmodem when i do get it on a cd. i dont know what to put on the cd and where to get the things i need. please tell me this ind hopefully we can see if the hardware is malfunctioning.

-edit-

the dvd drive wont read ANY dvd's. and i have used linux befor sop it sould be okay. once i know how to make the live cd and what exactly to put on it.

G'day Sammeh, sorry old chap, but I thought you were on broadband, don't even attempt to download the 60 meg file on dialup. It would probably drop out.
Do you have a friend that might help you?
qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online