DVD drive doesnt read DVD's please help!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sammeh

i can get it no prob. i just need to know what to get. i download items off the internet that are over 100 megs. amazingly enough. but i just need to know exactly what to get.

If you can use a broadband go to http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ this is the home page, across the top you will see "Downloads" click on it and that will take you to a downloads selection page, click on "ibiblio" that will take you to the ibiblio download site, scroll down to "Puppy-1.0.6 Mozilla.iso" this is that actual file you will need, it is only one file which is arranged as an ISO so all the files are contained within.
It is 57 or so megs. Clicking on this file should begin the download, with dialup it will take a ridiculously long time, with broadband it should be only a half hour or so.
Place this one file on your desktop. This is where the Burncdcc program becomes useful you can easily get it with your dialup. Place it in a folder on your desktop and operate it. You should get a small user friendly screen which you simply direct to the Puppy file.
qldit.

Sammeh

turns out it isnt so user friendly. it doesnt like my burner. and my burner does work. it just doesnt pick it up. if i use Roxio and make it as a data Cd, would that poaably work as well?

I think it may be different if you have an ISO file to burn.
I don't know how to burn ISO's with Roxio, it is different to burning a data cd.
The ISO file is unpacked during the process into a lot of other files.
Do you have nero express?
qldit.

That Burncdcc, program should show your writer in the "device writer" window.
Are you suggesting that it doesn't show at all.
It will not burn any other kind of file apart from an ISO.
qldit.

That magiciso is an interesting program, I have never heard of it previously.
Burning Linux Bootable CD's from ISO files is a little different to most burns, most people have a lot of problems doing it and it is easy to produce nonfunctioning CDs.
I can't understand why the burncdcc isn't functional, I have used it on dozens of machines without any previous problems and gotten perfect burns every time.
qldit.

Sammeh

magic iso burnt it. i put it in my lapt top and started to install it but i am having troubles with what kind of mouse to pick (i use the nipple pad type of mouse with it, then i put in my serial mouse and i have no idea what ort exactly it is using.) and i was wondering how to make a partitions for this type of linux.

-edit-

puppy stops booting up at:

0x0111 640x480x16
Starting X with video mode 0x0111 and mouse psaux...

what do i do there?

Good Morning Sammeh, I will have to get a copy of that Magiciso program.
That mouse is something I didn't think of.
If you have a serial mouse or a PS/2 mouse try plugging it in and following the request when it asks for the mouse type. If you are using a serial mouse as far as I recall you just type "serial" (no inverted commas) if it is a "ps/2" you type that.
The instructions should give you "what to type".
I don't know about a mouse pad. sorry.
The operating system will probe and load the respective modules for the mouse type you select. (same for the keyboard US qwerty etc.)
the 0x0111 is another name for the 640X480x16 video setting, this is simply a basic video selection, leave it as it is and it should proceed to load a 640 by 480 screen setting. (low res)
"X" is a window formulation program that the GUI is presented in.
I have no idea why the boot is stopping at that point.
There is no need to worry about partitions for this Linux as it is only being loaded into the RAM (memory) so in theory you could even remove the hard drive.
I was so impressed that I loaded it onto a hard drive and have been using it for months now.
You should find that selecting option 2 as the CD begins to boot should load it almost without any operator input apart from the keyboard and mouse types.
There may be messages requesting input but leave them untouched and and the load should progress after a short halt. There is a file copying process that takes a while maybe as long as three minutes or so on some machines, but should give you a nice blue desktop with a "seagull" on it.
You will also see a display setting table presented at this time, select the 640x480 x16 if that is all that is showing, that is the lowest resolution image possible, the first activity is of course to get a desktop up. You can experiment later.
I really didn't think this would be a problem.
Qldit.

Sammeh

well, for some reason, my laptop dies not like it at all. i got it to load up no problem on my desktop computer but it just wont work on the laptop

Well Sammeh, at this point in time I have no suggestion, sorry.
The only thing would be to take the DVD drive to a Toshiba agent and get them to test it in another machine or test another drive in yours.
These kinds of problems can be very difficult to sort out.
Maybe someone else has a different idea how to determine where and what the problem is. Sorry about that..
Cheers, qldit.

Sammeh

thanks for the help anyways, and thanks for the info of puppy linux. i like knowing something about alot of things, and now i know a little something on making iso discs. thank you. you helped me in that way. but yeah, maby someone else would be able to help me.

You are welcome, and thanks for introducing me to that magiciso program I am just having a play with it on another Windows machine. It has some very useful abilities actually creating ISO images.
If you play with Puppy, use the wizard-wizard, it will help get you online quite quickly and you don't need to worry about viral kinds of things, any disk mounting is done by the Puppy drivemounter in Start>Utilities. (minimise it when you are not using it)
All the programs in it work pretty well, if you want more programs it will seek them online for you.
It is a very handy tool to check whether components have problems (usually)
Cheers, Qldit (Brisbane Australia)

Edit, it needs a standard modem. (most winmodems do not work with it.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online