1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD-drive dosent work after fail burn.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xhila, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xhila

Xhila Thread Starter

Hey.

First of all pardon my poor english, i hope you will be able to understand me anyway :)

Laptop: Lenovo T510 (3 months old)
    Disc drive: hl-dt-st dvdram gt30n

Today i burned a dvd disc with ImgBurn, the burning went well, it ejected the disc as normaly, i then closed the tray again, so that imgburn could verify the disc, after 10 min were nothing had happened, the program was frozen, so i shut it down.

Later when i wanted to format my computer, i rebooted with a boot disc, nothing happen, it just booted windows normaly, try again and again, but nothing.. i then tried with a Ubuntu 10.4 bootdisc, nothing again.

When i try to access my disc drive under my computer, it just says:

D:\

The program cannot be found

When i put disc in it, in windows mode, it just makes the normal sounds it use too, and then goes "dead" nothing happens and my computer cant see the disc.

things i have tried so far:

- I went to Start > Run > regedit and remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Class \ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. No upper- or lowerfilter values there?

- I went to device manager. Clicked the arrow next to DVD/CD Drives to see my DVD drive. Right-clicked the drive name and selected Uninstall. Then rebooted again. It reinstalled the DVD drive... to no avail. It loads nothing.

Changed the boot order, so my computer should boot from the disc drive first, nothing..

So I don't really know what to try next :(

Any idears?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday!

If the boot order is set to optical drive before hard disk and the computer bypasses a bootable disk on boot, the drive is dead.

Verify the disk is actually bootable by trying it in another system. If it boots there, then it is final the drive is dead.

3. Xhila

Xhila Thread Starter

Crap.

The dics boots perfectly up on my older laptop.

Would it be possible to take a disc drive (slim) from a older laptop to replace my now dead disc drive?

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday!

There are many different models of laptop optical drives. If it fits and works, consider yourself very lucky.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/925946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice