1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd drive driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by twizzie, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

I ordered a Phillips DVD drive the previous week from newegg, and its from newegg, and a retail purchase not OEM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827248002

It doesn't mention anything about a driver, just comes with NERO 6.6. Is this a plug-and play, or a plug and pray? I looked on their website, and they don't seem to have a driver for it.

Thanks,
    Twizzie

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are no drivers required for optical storage with Windows. Nero will install without any additional drivers and provide full functionality.

3. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

ahhhh, thanks for the info, I returned my last one because it was OEM, and thought I needed the drivers because it wasn't reading anything...well I wouldn't learn this if that didn't happen!

Thank you
    Twizzie

4. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

Oh and by the way, you are suggesting that the player will automatically work after I hook it up, and I can just start using it to its full capability? Or, did you mean that I would need extra software to make it install

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

It will be detected and install itself and appear in My Computer on first boot, unless there is some other problem.

6. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

Let's assume that there is a problem with the dvd drive (and I'm not trying to make your life hell) what are the chances of it being a repairable problem. I'm asking this because I'm planning on ordering Flight Sim. X today. I don't know if I should wait and see if the dvd drive works correctly, or if I should just order it today and I won't have to wait too long.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

If your system is running OK and you haven't had any peculiar behavior of your drives lately, I'd say it is a safe bet that the drive will work just fine.

8. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

I do have a problem with some drivers, or is that irrelevant? Check my post "serious windows error"

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

So long as the problem has not involved drives disappearing from My Computer, failure to detect drives you have, or drives being misidentified in My Computer, other drivers shouldn't affect the new drive. Since the drive connects directly to the mainboard and has native Windows drivers, the chance of problems is thereby reduced.

10. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

ahh, and I don't have a floppy disk, but in my computer it says that there is one, is this relevant, or another painful problem?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't worry about that one. You probably have a floppy controller in case you decide to add one.

I'd say your chief worry should be that the drive arrives undamaged---after that you should be golden.

12. twizzie

twizzie Thread Starter

ok, idk if this would be the right thing to do, but instead of putting a new thread, ill just post it here.

Recently I made a thread saying that I have winxpx64 pr edition with SP2B. I just opened up system info and it says that I have service pack one. I want to play FLight sim. x, and this requires me to have SP2, where can I get this??

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice