1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive I/o device error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atheistcanuck, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atheistcanuck

atheistcanuck Thread Starter

Hi, I just reinstalled Windows XP due to issues booting, but now I can't use my DVD drive, it gives me an I/O device error when I try, it also doesn't seem to recognize that it's a DVD drive and not a CD drive.

Unfortunately I currently have NO internet connection on that computer because I can't reinstall the drivers for the network card due to them being on a CD, so I can't update the drivers or anything, and I'm stuck on basic original win xp (no service packs cause I can't download the updates).

I've already attempted to fiddle around with the IDE settings or whatever those are but it didn't seem to help.

I desperately need my computer fixed, I can't do anything with it right now until I can reinstall the network drivers and download all the programs I need.

I'm on a desktop, with an AMD dual core processor, and and ASUS motherboard.

Please help!

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'd go into Bios and set my Bios to Default settings before I go any further - then I would make sure my disk OS was absolutely clean and re-install again.
    I'm more interested in why you had to reinstall to begin with? What was going on that you felt you needed to? Let us know...Jazz

3. atheistcanuck

my computer was taking a long long time to boot and sometimes it wasn't booting at all, it would just sit there after the windows XP screen came up. Also it kept freezing up, and it wasn't able to see one of my hard drives.

Reinstalling fixed those problems.

I already have the BIOS set to default, I had to do that just after formatting my C drive in preparation for reinstalling windows because I was getting BIOS post errors. I checked the BIOS and it seems to be seeing the drive properly in the BIOS.

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'm wondering if you weren't having hardware issues to begin with and the reinstall of the OS - though it helped - might not be the issue. You were obviously able to use the DVD with the install of your OS. Then what happened, or should I say, what did you do after that?
    The system installed and you booted and the DVD process disappeared? Jazz

5. atheistcanuck

yeah, that's basically it. I didn't do anything else other then reset the BIOS to default.

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

Does your bios require resetting certain items after being set on default? In other words do you need to go in and enable some processes? Jazz

7. atheistcanuck

I don't know.

8. atheistcanuck

9. jazz3000

jazz3000

Do you know how to get to your bios? Jazz

10. atheistcanuck

11. atheistcanuck

12. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

what about grabbing drivers from the net on the working machine, moving them to a CD or thumb drive, and updating drivers that way?

MBN

13. atheistcanuck

Well my CD/DVD drive isn't working, that's the problem, but I do have a USB flash drive, so I actually tried that last night it didn't want to work for me. I don't know if I got the wrong drivers (I don't remember which network card I have), or what. I'll have to dig up some of the other network card CDs I've got lying around to see if I can find other model numbers to try.

14. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Is this a home-built machine? If not, why not go to the manufacturer's site and get the valid drivers for your components?

MBN

15. atheistcanuck

yeah it's custom built. My dad helped me build it, I'd be having him fix it, but he's out of town.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice