1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive incorrectly labeled in my computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joythompson, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joythompson

joythompson Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm hopeing someone knows whats going on here and can help me out, I recently installed some programs PowerDVD and X2.

But after i installed them my DVD drive has been mysteriously replaced with 'E: Removable Disk' which is nice, but not correct and the new mystery Removable disc wont let me play DVDs justs says 'Please insert disc into drive E:'

So I uninstalled PowerDVD (which i suspect caused this problem) rebooted (checking that the drive was registering correctly with the Bios, it was) But still in my computer it says my DVD is a removable disk.

Anyone know whats going on here and how to fix it, got some movies in the mail, and would love to be able to watch them :)

Thanks a lot folks

-Joy

2. ratchet

ratchet

Hi joythompson,

Welcome to TSG.

You might try uninstalling Removable Disk from Device Manager, reboot and see if Windows picks it up as a DVD again.

Are yourunning XP or 2000?

3. joythompson

Thanks for the welcome & the speedy reply :),

I'm using windows 2000 pro sp4, and no luck on the device manager uninstall reboot method just comes up as that 'Removable disc' thing, im really starting to hate the look of that little icon now :p

I also tried swapping the master/slave jumpers on my cd dvd drives, in hope it might do somthing (Im really cluching at straws here), but still no DVD back.

Oh, the power DVD version was 4, if that helps and I defragged the same day, could this be linked ?

4. steve65

steve65

Out of curiosity, can you play a standard CD in it?

Steve

5. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Have you looked for updated drivers for your drive?

6. joythompson

Well,

It dosn't like CDs either, just does that 'please insert disc' thing.

I did check for new drivers of the Artec site

http:\\www.artecusa.com

but they only seemed to have a program up to update the windows 3.1/Dos driver which dosn't help me much.

I always figured the CD / DVD drives had pretty much generic drivers now, is there a generic style cd /dvd driver update about ?

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You could try forcing the machine to reinstall the drivers for the drive...

8. steve65

steve65

Do you have any drive activity when you insert a disk? You should hear it spin up and see the drive light flicker when you insert a disk.

Steve

9. ratchet

ratchet

You might give system restore a shot. See if your system created a point prior to the installation of PowerDVD and X2.

*Opps you posted 2000pro , ignore above.

10. joythompson

The DVD drive itself seems to be working fine all flashy and spinny :) but Ive not checked it in another computer.

I'd love to do a system restore, In the past with a similar problem I resorted to a hard drive format but it seems a bit extreme.

Im going to have a go at uninstaling the mysterious removable drive and doing the add new hardware thing.

I'm stating to loose hope though, sounds like its only me thats had this problem :)

11. steve65

steve65

Maybe the DVD program was just a coincidence. Try a new IDE cable, or at least check that they are seated properly.

Steve

12. ratchet

ratchet

Are there any exclamation marks in device manager?

Do you know the make and model of your Motherboard?
    Go to Start/Run type dxdiag, should list the MB on first screen.

I snooped around Cyberlink Power DVD with no luck.

What is X2?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice