1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive malfunctioning- how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CharlieFox, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieFox

CharlieFox Thread Starter

Right guys, here's my problem:
    My DVD-rom drive ( D:/ drive ) cannot read disks. There's no issue with the disks themselves (they work on pther PCs fine). I put the DVDs in and they don't autoplay, and when I go to the My Computer directory and double-click to open/run the drive an error pops up reading, and I quote:

D:/

Application not found

The properties menu reads that there's nothing wrong with the drive, but clearly something's not working. Help?

thanks
    C/F

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How about CD's?

How about the Open option in the context menu? Does that do anything?

How does the drive appear in Device Manager and Disk Management?

Have you uninstalled any programs recently related to the drive, such as burners or players?

3. CharlieFox

CharlieFox Thread Starter

- CDs work as normal.
    - It prompts me to "please insert a disk into drive (D:)
    -Hmm. It appears as a DVD drive at (D:) in disk management. Same for Device management.
    -I have not.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice