1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd drive missing

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by cgoree, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cgoree

cgoree Thread Starter

Hello I have a Gateway 17.3"LCD Windows 8 Pentium, 4GB RAM 500GB HDD Laptop, I went to play a dvd the other day and it wouldn't play so when I went to "computer" to see if I could start it that way and my dvd drive wasnt there I tried different kinds of cd's and dvd's just to make sure but only my "drive c" is showing.
    cgoree

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does it sound like it "spins up" when you insert a CD or DVD?

Does it appear in Device Manager?

3. cgoree

cgoree Thread Starter

Yes the dvd spins up when I load it and yes it shows in the device manager also this is the message that was under the "general" when I clicked on it. Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How To Fix Code 19 Errors may be a big help. I've seen a number of threads where #3 in that article has fixed problems with optical drives.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice