1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive no longer responds...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KaIIen, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

For an unknown reason, my DVD drive has stopped working. When I insert a disk, the green light flashes briefly after the tray closes and then nothing. When I try to open or explore in Windows Explorer, it just opens a blank window. Nor does a disk autostart. I am running XP Home SP2, and the drive is a LiteOn DVDRW SHM-165H6S.
    I have not installed any new software/drivers/updates. I have not changed any settings. I searched, and in the following link followed JohnWills instructions for the reg edit.
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/525621-solved-dvd-cd-rom-drive.html#post4246017

I tried reseating the IDE cable, as well as move the jumper from Master to Cable Select. No error or conflict appears within device manager. I uninstalled the drive (device manager) and let Windows "find new hardware'...According to device manager, it is working properly. Also, it responds to the context menu eject command. I have tried both CDs and DVDs, both commercial and disks I have created. Not sure what is the cause here. I'd be greatful for help!
    Thank you

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Drives do fail. As a quick test, put in your xp CD and reboot. Enter the bios and check to see that the CD is the first boot device. Now restart and see if you can boot from the problem drive. If it does not boot from the xp CD, your drive has most likely failed. You could pull it and try it in another machine to be sure.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice