DVD drive not reading DVD's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nerd_in_trainin

Okay. The dvd drive in my computer is not reading dvd's. Only CD's. When I open up the "my computer" Dvd's are read as CD's. I updated the firmware and the computer recognized it as a dvd until I tried to use nero and then my computer went back to reading it as CD. Im thinking its a software issue since the computer did read it as a dvd when the firmware was updated. Here are the specs for the computer

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 37 °C
Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz 5-5-5-15
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N-D (Socket 775)
Graphics
ASUS VW193T @ 1440x900
256MB GeForce 8600 GT (EVGA) 55 °C
Hard Drives
2000GB Western Digital WDC WD20 EADS-00R6B0 SCSI Disk Device (IDE) 36 °C
251GB Western Digital WDC WD25 00YD-01NVB1 SCSI Disk Device (IDE) 43 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F SCSI CdRom Device

Thank you very much in advance for this

nerd_in_trainin

Thank you for your quick reply. unfortunately, running that tool didnt work. so i went ahead and bought another dvd drive. same thing so its something with the os or the software. either way, I'm hoping its something simple like the software.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online