1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Drive not recognized by XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Singular, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Singular

Singular Thread Starter

Hi, my issue is that I reinstalled my operating system and now my DVD drive doesnt work... I mean, it opens and closes, but it's not recognized as a drive (with a letter) in windows. I already tried adjusting the IDE cable, rebooting, changed the IDE cable just in case one of the pins was broken... I even borrowed another dvd drive/burner from a friend.... and nothing. I checked in the device manager and I could see that it lists 3 cd drives... but I believe they are from VirtualClone drive and demon tools.... (since I tried rightclicking and ejecting and it didn't make my physical drive eject... also, the drive is Pioneer, it should say pioneer somewhere!)
    well.... I guess that sums up my issue.... hope someone can give me a hand.
    thanks in advance,
    A

2. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

How long have you had it, is it external or internal? And you have try diffrent power cables? and a friends didnt work are you sure your friends worked before? and what do you mean about case 1 broken pin or something?

3. Singular

Singular Thread Starter

I've had it for about.... 2 years or so... its internal. the power works fine, tested that. it opens and closes, just as my friends... I took it from his working computer and placed it in mine... so I know it works, it also has power and opens/closes and when I insert a CD or DVD the light blinks on, but the disk is not recognized (no autorun) and the Drive does not appear as hardware.
    What I meant about a pin broken is.... the IDE cable is like 100 thin cables... I changed the hole cable just in case one of those cables was broken. I changed it for a brand new IDE cable.

4. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

i don't have a cd rom to be honest. But im pretty sure you install drivers for some cd drives.

5. Singular

Singular Thread Starter

yeah, the thing is that this dvd burner is plug and play.... I've always plugged it and it was recognized... it's been ages since I've had to actually install drivers for a dvd or cd burner to be recognized

6. Dustdvl

Dustdvl

mmhmm maybe its your mother board. im pretty sure you plug a dvd drive into a mother right?

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

Go to device manager & left click on tth + next to the device, uninstall it & reboot the system. Windows should recognise the device

8. bigbear

bigbear

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
    You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
    1)Filename : fixcd.reg
    2)Save as type: all files
    3)Encoding: ANSI
    If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_xp]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf_XP]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr_xp]
    ------------------------------ Use text before this line -----------------------------

9. Singular

Singular Thread Starter

Ok.... have tried with the .reg file.... rebooted. nothing changed. have tried uninstalling the 3 virtual drives.. (actually, the only ones that appeared in the device manager) rebooted... still, didn't take my physical dvd burning drive.... the motherboard is almost brand new.... perhaps... 2 months. always worked fine.
    sincerely.... don't know what's wrong with my machine/operating system. any other clue? thanks anyways to all of you who tried to help

10. klevy

klevy

:)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781843