1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive not recognizing CDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve00, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve00

steve00 Thread Starter

I was burning a CD-R in Nero and while running some other program at the same time (I've already learned my lesson about multitasking, so there's no need for further rebuke), and although the CD finished burning, Nero said the burn failed, and since then my computer will not recognize any CD that I put in it, although it reads and burns DVDs just fine still. I have used system restore, uninstalled/reinstalled Nero, the DVD drive drivers, the ide 1st/2nd channel drives, as well as deleted the upper/lower filter entries from the registry, all of which do nothing. I accidently deleted the entire entry that the those entires are contained in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}) and when I rebooted, the CD drive was magically able to read CDs again (although I didn't test anything else). I was nervous about having deleted so much though (I know very little about the registry except that it's a pandora's box), so I restored it back just so I didn't get myself into deeper trouble than I was already in. So, my question is, first, what could have caused this problem to begin with? and second, am I ok to delete that entire entry since that seemed to fix the problem? What does that other stuff in that part of the registry do? Here's what my registry looks like now:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "Class"="CDROM"
    @="DVD/CD-ROM drives"
    "EnumPropPages32"="MmSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider "
    "Installer32"="storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller"
    "SilentInstall"="1"
    "NoInstallClass"="1"
    "TroubleShooter-0"="hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm"
    "Icon"="-51"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
    "EnumPropPages32"="storprop.dll,DvdPropPageProvide r"
    "InfPath"="cdrom.inf"
    "InfSection"="cdrom_install"
    "ProviderName"="Microsoft"
    "DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,62,c5,c0,01,c1,01
    "DriverDate"="7-1-2001"
    "DriverVersion"="5.1.2535.0"
    "MatchingDeviceId"="gencdrom"
    "DriverDesc"="CD-ROM Drive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\DigitalAudio]
    "RegistryVersion"=dword:00000001
    "NumberOfBuffers"=dword:00000008
    "SectorsPerRead"=dword:00000010
    "SectorsPerReadMask"=dword:ffffffff
    "CDDASupported"=dword:00000001
    "CDDAAccurate"=dword:00000001

I would GREATLY appreciate any help that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance,

-Steve

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening steve00, it is quite likely that some malware item or some hostile protective system on a disk you may have attempted to copy has altered your settings.
    Either way trying to determine if the drive still has full operational potential is a nuisance.
    I usually try using a Live Linux Program (puppy Linux) and booting the machine with it then removing the CD and trying what works with the burning capacity is the easiest way.
    Puppy Linux
    As you have found Windows is not as simple as it appears, although it is very simple for it to "screw up".
    There is a learning curve required with this procedure.
    Cheers, qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice