1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive not recognizing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shinobikaba, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shinobikaba

shinobikaba Thread Starter

Windows XP Professional
    AMD Athlon 3800+
    Asus A8n SLI deluxe

I've been trying to burn some DVDs for the past few weeks, but been encountering some problems. Every time I try to burn a dvd, it doesnt seem to work succesfully. It use to, and im truely unsure of what I might have changed to change that, but its been this way for at least a few weeks. It seems to me, like my drive is not recognizing the discs. I've tried all kinds of discs also, +, -, different brands and everything. It all use to work fine. I have this extra device showing up though. Called HS71240 TUO749N SCSI CdRom Device. It shows up as Drive (I). My DVD Drive is (F) and my CD-RW Drive (G). Before I put a DVD-R in my DVD drive, It looks like this;

[​IMG]

After I put a DVD in the drive, it looks like this;

[​IMG]

The (I) drive apparently recognizes there is a DVD-R in the drive, but the label becomes "CD Drive (I)". Which I think is strange, the DVD should be recognized in the (F) drive. The Device for the (F) drive is marked _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A (in device manager). Im confused now as to which drive is my real DVD drive! Im pretty sure its the (F) drive, but why are all DVDs being recognized in the (I) drive? Maybe im wrong.

When I double click the (I) drive, it gives me a messaging saying "I:\ is Not Accessible, Incorrect Function". When I check the properties of the (I) drive, it shows Used space and Free space as both 0 bytes. Thats with the DVD inserted.

I use to try burning with Nero, but lately I have not been successful at all. It just says at the end burn process failed. So i've been wanting to try DVD Flick, which seems like a great program, but for some reason, it only is recognizing my CD-RW drive. Like so;

[​IMG]

When it should also be recognizing my DVD-RW drive.

What bugs me is that I use to never have a problem. I honestly can't recall a change that I made involving any of my drives. I've checked the wiring in the back of my DVD drive and its all good as well. I recently upgraded my copy of Nero, but this problem started quite a bit before that. In fact, I upgraded hoping it would fix the issue.

I tried to make this a clear as possible to increase the chance of someone being able to provide some advice. Anything is appreciated.

2. shinobikaba

I don't mean to be a pain and bump this topic, but im hoping someone who sees this can help me out.

3. Brum

Brum

What does device manager show? Does it reconize the extra drive?

4. shinobikaba

Yes, it recognizes all three of the drives. But I only have two physical rom drives installed in my computer. I imagine one of them is a virtual drive. Maybe from Nero?

5. Brum

Brum

yeah nero 7 does have a virtual drive as I have used it myself check to see if that is where it is coming from.

To get to it from my computer, I would click, START, PROGRAMS, NERO 7, TOOLS, NERO IMAGE DRIVE

6. shinobikaba

I think I just figure at least something out. What i stated was wrong. The (I) drive, is not labeled "HS71240 TUO749N SCSI CdRom Device" within the device manager, That is the (F) drive instead. So the (I) drive is labeled _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A, which I think is the proper drive. So that means, this (I) drive is the real one, and the (F) drive is perhaps this virtual drive.

But, I tried to search for this virtual drive from nero, and found nothing. I have Nero 7 lite installed, so it might not come with this virtual drive software. My previous version of Nero 6 was a full install though, so maybe it's left over from that?

I have no idea. This is just strange to me. DVDs are being recognized in what seems to be the proper drive, but the (I) drive still shows it as "Cd Drive (I)" whenever there is a DVd inserted. And I still can't seem to burn anything successfully. New DVD drive maybe? I'd perfer not.

7. shinobikaba

Wait a second. Suddenly, that program, DVD flick, is now recognizing the DVD drive. I didn't even do anything...man this is strange. I'll try to burn something once again, and see if there is any change.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice