1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD drive not working when plug IDE cable into it.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by arnie2009, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnie2009

arnie2009 Thread Starter

Hi their first of all my computer spec:

I have a thermaltake supranoVB1000SWS case, Asus P5KC motherboard, windows 7 ultimate 64bit, Intel Quad core Q6600 CPU, 2GB corsair XMS DDR2 800mhz RAM, 1TB Samsung spinpoint hard-drive, DVD-drive

what it is, I bought my new case ( the thermaltake supranoVB1000SWS) a couple of weeks ago, so obviously I had to swap all my hardware into it from my older case.
    Everything worked perfectly in my older case, its when I swapped everything to my new case that I started having problems with my DVD drive.
    When I connect the IDE and power cable upto it, and switch my computer on their is no power getting to the drive, well no lights light up, flicker or do anything.
    But once i turn my computer off and remove the IDE cable, but leave the power cable in, the DVD drive powers up, the draw opens and closes like normal, it only doesnt come on when the IDE cable is plugged in.

The DVD drive is set to master, this is IDE
    My hard-drive is SATA so thats automatically goes to master.

The dvd drive is not detected in the BIOS ( revision 1203)

I have checked the IDE connector on the motherboard its-self and none of the pins or damaged or bent etc, I have even tried a new IDE cablr but the same happens.

Please can you help me thank you.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Had a similar problem moving an optical drive to the secondary IDE port on new computer a while ago. Had to change the jumper on the drive from Master to Cable Select (CS) to get it to work. It might be worth trying on your computer. You would need an IDE cable that supports CS with gray and black connectors for the drives.

3. arnie2009

arnie2009 Thread Starter

Hi yes

I have changing the jumpers to all the options, master, slave, CS but nothing.
    I only have the one IDE channel on my motherboard the P5KC

My drive powers up when i remove the IDE cable but as soon as i plug the IDE cable inot it, it wont even power up

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice