1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Drive Problem with Win XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PCMan78, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I build computer systems and I just ran across a problem that I am stumped on. I usually build my systems as follows:

2.4Ghz Celeron CPU
    Biostar P4SXQ Mobo
    Sony DDU-220E DVD Drive
    52x CD-RW Drive
    256mb PC2100 RAM
    Windows ME

The DVD Drive works great on Win ME. But one customer wanted XP installed instead of me, so I built a system exactly as followed and installed XP. I ran Window's Updates to get it up to date for the customer and then I went to test the DVD Drive by placing a DVD into it. It will not reconize DVDs. It reconizes CDs, but not DVDs. So I decided that it could be the Updates that I installed, so I did a fresh format and install of XP and it still doesn't reconize DVDs. One thing I noticed is that in Device Manager, it has the drive reconized as a DVD Drive and when I click on "My Computer", it has it as a "CD-Drive". Jumper settings are also correct.... Don't know? Any hints?

2. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I also tried to change the DVD Drive out, still same problem.

3. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I just changed it out with a different kind of DVD Drive and it reconized DVDs fine. I changed it out with a LG 16x DVD Drive. Somebody tell me why it would not work on the Sony 5x DVD Drive and it would on the LG 16x? Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice