dvd drive problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

esse10

when I play a dvd movie on my computer the system is reading and writing data to and from the hard drive at the same time. I don't think this is normal because I have two other computers and one laptop and none of them do this when I play a dvd movie.:) Does anybody out there know what is going on here? please help. I am knowledgable on hardware ,but I am just fair when it come to software. help , help I can be reached at [email protected] , but please no viruses , " okay guys"

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, We try to stick to the forum for replies> makes it nice for everyone to see the help.

Question> Honest now...are you using any file sharing P2P programs?

There may be other reasons for the read/writing going on, but if you are using P2P, which I know is legal some places... it may just be saving the data to share with others in the network. <that is only a "guess", I've never run into it before. But, I have seen people mistakenly running Microsoft Backup and other backup programs that had it set to back up certain types of files or run all the time!

Or, your DVD software may have settings to (for all I know Windows may) create backups for everything you do> therefore it is trying to back up played files. Does this happen when you play games?

Are you using any DVD recording software with a burner? There may be settings to automatically start the software if you are using the burner to play the movies. Just a thought> dont even know if that is possible.

Or the video stream is simply being buffered to the hard drive to improve system efficiency.

Remember the "hard disk activity" light on the PC may operate when the CD is accessed as well as when the HDD is accessed, depending how the unit is wired or configured by the motherboard maker. Some PCs here do, some don't.

esse10

Byteman said:
Hi, We try to stick to the forum for replies> makes it nice for everyone to see the help.

Question> Honest now...are you using any file sharing P2P programs?

There may be other reasons for the read/writing going on, but if you are using P2P, which I know is legal some places... it may just be saving the data to share with others in the network.

Or, your DVD software may have settings to (for all I know Windows may) create backups for everything you do> therefore it is trying to back up played files. Does this happen when you play games?

Are you using any DVD recording software with a burner? There may be settings to automatically start the software if you are using the burner to play the movies. Just a thought> dont even know if that is possible.
NO, it does not do this when I play games and I will check to see if this computer has a P2P program running in the background. thanks for your reply.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, More than likely it's just the buffering that you are seeing.

How do you know there is any writing going on, do you see a file or data someplace?

When I play a DVD (The Shining is my test DVD right now) I get the hard drive LED flashing all the time the movie runs, that's in a fairly new computer with lots of everything.

I have used firmware updates on drives> just to see what it did, nothing really that I could see, worked fine before and after. They are for specific problems, like updates or patches. You could check the drive maker's support site to see if there is anything new you can do about buffering. Updating the firmware is not really neccesary unless you find info that you can trust that it will correct a problem you definitely have.

esse10

Byteman said:
Hi, More than likely it's just the buffering that you are seeing.

How do you know there is any writing going on, do you see a file or data someplace?

When I play a DVD (The Shining is my test DVD right now) I get the hard drive LED flashing all the time the movie runs, that's in a fairly new computer with lots of everything.

I have used firmware updates on drives> just to see what it did, nothing really that I could see, worked fine before and after. They are for specific problems, like updates or patches. You could check the drive maker's support site to see if there is anything new you can do about buffering. Updating the firmware is not really neccesary unless you find info that you can trust that it will correct a problem you definitely have.
thanks for the reply's guys. I did not think buffering would cause my hard drive led to flicker like grazy. my other computer's don't do that when I play a dvd movie. it seems like
it writes the data from the dvd to the hard drive before it sends it out to memory or the video board to display.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, Actually, it (buffering) helps prevent the video skipping. There may be some things you can try, but don't rush out and buy anything...

This info is for only winXP> if she has a different version of Windows, ignore this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/bridgman02april15.mspx

Without knowing the hardware the computer has, it would be difficult to help further.

If you want to, post the make, model if it is a branded type of computer like a Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. Let us know if the DVD drive came with the pc, or you bought it later.
In the Device Manager, the DVD drive should be listed, what model drive does she have?
Right click the DVD drive, select Properties> Settings> tell me if there is a checkmark in "Use DMA" or something similar there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online