1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

dvd drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonny g, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonny g

jonny g Thread Starter

i am currently trying to install my new aol version 7.0 disc on to my pc.the problem is every time i put the disc in there is no automatic instalation.and when i try to do it manually it just says no disc in drive d.this is also the case with my audio c.ds aswell.can anyone tell me what the problem is.thank you.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi jonny g, welcome to TSG....

What happens when you open 'my computer' and try accessing the cd from there?

3. jonny g

jonny g Thread Starter

when i go to my computer and try to access the disc from there it still says insert disc in to drive d.

4. crabman

crabman Guest

DVD PLAYERS ARE MENT FOR DVDS .....OR SO I THINK TRY PUTTING YOUR CD ROM BACK IN.OR COULD BE A DIRTY CD :mad:

5. brianF

brianF

dvd drives are backwards compatible to other forms of media, it should read the disk fine.

You might want to try going to device manager, cdrom tab, select your dvd drive, hit remove, reboot, and let windows reinstall it.

6. crabman

crabman Guest

IF THIS WAS THE CASE YOU WOULD NEVER SEE A COMPUTER NEW FROM THE FACTORY WITH BOTH A CD ROM AND DVD PLAYER IN THE SAME MACHINE

7. brianF

brianF

Whatever, I don't even have a cdrom drive, just a dvd, everything works just fine.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

My cds, installation programs, etc. work fine in my DVD......

Crabman, would you PLEASE STOP SHOUTING?????:confused:

9. crabman

crabman Guest

sorry candy ive had the dvd problem this guy is having and yeah 9 out of 10 of my programs would load fine and then you would have one disk that wouldnt and its always been able to be fixed by reinstalling my cd rom to get the program to load.if you have a better explaination of why computers have both cd roms and dvd players installed on the same machine then spit it out [edited comment].and how long would it take this guy to reinstal his cd rom to test this provided he has removed it

edited by brianF Keep it civil Crabman

10. TechChick

TechChick

I've never seen a computer ship with both a regular CD-ROM drive and a DVD-ROM drive. I've seen computers with DVD-ROM drives and CD-RW drives. All computer DVD-ROM drives can and do read CD-ROMs just fine. The only explanation I have for your experiences is that you possibly had a loose connection between the drive and the cable which was fixed by putting in a different drive. Not every computer or computer user has a plain CD-ROM drive to install in place of their DVD-ROM drive. It's possible johnny g's DVD-ROM drive is just bad, but if that's the case, he could just as easily try a different DVD-ROM drive as he could a plain CD-ROM drive.

11. crabman

crabman Guest

dvd is a different format and the newer programs are going to use dvd because of the speed factor .b8ut that still leaves the guy with a drawer full of cd,s that are not in this format.and nothing was loose one cd would load the other wouldnt and the fix was always to put my cd rom back in i just never got around to installing both at the same time.and ive had this problem on my emachine and the compaq im using now.but the million dollar question is we are here to solve this guys problem ,how difficult would it be for him to reinstall his cd rom????????????????/

cats are smarter then dogs.my cat craps in the litter box my dog craps on the rug

12. TechChick

TechChick

Crabman, we don't even know if jonny g has a plain CD-ROM drive. I don't own one. I only have DVD-ROM drives and CD-RW drives. I've never had any problems with my DVD-ROM drive reading plain CDs. Very, very, very few programs come on DVD disks. Nearly all software comes on plain CDs which everyone can read using their DVD-ROM drives.

Edited by brianF

13. crabman

crabman Guest

well just out of curiosity how many files load on any given program and are you sure they are all loading properly.i had loaded my norton internet security with my dvd and was having about 10 alarms a day.after about a month of talking to all the experts on hacking i found out that the program didnt install properly because of the dvd.it cost me a thousand dollars in long distance calls to find this out.also i reinstalled the program again from my dvd player and had the same problem,also my destop icon wouldnt open the program.when i put my cd rom back in and reinstalled the program it worked fine and my alrms stopped coming on so often.and my icon worked.my lexmark software wouldnt load period from my dvd player while doing a complete restore and that was in during and before all other programs were loaded including my windows disk,but the lexmark wouldnt load.even if you tryed to start the disk via the run or my computer route.once again just one disk one program and the fix was to put the cd rom in.well i put the dvd back in and everthing was fine and as recently as last week i had to stick the cd rom back in to load a program back in.so for what ever the reason tech chick you have no reason to insult me .

ENOUGH, stick to the problem, get rid of the comments about other users

14. TechChick

TechChick

Sounds like your DVD-ROM drive is bad, Crabman. I've installed all my applications and operating systems for the last four years using a DVD-ROM drive, and I've never had a problem. Sometimes hardware just goes bad. That's probably what happened to your DVD-ROM drive.

15. crabman

crabman Guest

have they had dvd for computers that long? we still havent solved this guys problems .by the way the one thing my dvd player never had a problem doing was playing dvd,s which is what it was intended for doing.as i had explained earlier my dvd will load most programs I just dont trust it.and reading this guys problems again he seems to be having probs with alot a cd,s.so i will ask does the dvd work on any other programs or is it just not working period.oh and my dvd player is still here and working fine .i use it to watch movies.I had a cd that wouldnt load on my cd rom i cleaned it and it started right up.so it could be anything.so will the starter of this thread please answer some question have you had yur computer apart recently ,have you checked your cables is your cd or dvd light coming on at all ,do any programs run at all on your dvd???????is it showing in the device manager.have you gone into safe mode and checked to see if you have any other cd roms installed that are not supposed to be there if so remove them.thoses are called ghost drivers and are notorious for causing problems in win 98.are your cd,s clean or scratched mishandled?:rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice