1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DVD Drive Stopping Windows Loading Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clickie, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clickie

clickie Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have a problem with my DVD drive its a Asus DRW-20B1ST 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer Rewriter (Black) - OEM,

Basically the problem is when i start my computer. When i boot up the computer it loads normally until the windows loading screen is supposed to come up, but all i get is a black screen with a white " _ " in the top left hand corner. i seemed that the computer is trying to load a CD, so when i restarted the PC i looked at the DVD drive and the green light was on to say that it was loading, i pressed the eject button and it done nothing, then next thing i done was turn off the computer, unplug the DVD drive from its power supply and booted up my computer on for the third time. which it loaded correctly and now i am here typing this post.

anyone know whats going on?, i am not sure if it is the DVD drive or it might be my motherboard i don't really know, any assistance would be great.

Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Did the drive ever work? Or did you just install it? If the latter, it sounds like you may have the jumper setting set incorrectly...or the drive could be defective.

3. clickie

clickie Thread Starter

Hey, yeah i have had it working before i got it about 8-9 months ago, now that i think about it i did have some trouble installing warhammer online, The drive could not read the disk and it was making strange noises (stopping and starting every 2-3 seconds also making clicking sounds). anyway ill e-mail the website i got it from see if i can get a replacement.

thanks for the reply

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You're welcome. Strange noise is usually the sign of a failing drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice